Thinking about greasable u-joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to get some greasable u-joints for the rear prop shaft. I found some on rockauto for 13.49 a piece. Would those be good or is there anything I need to look out for? Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
what kind are they? There are cheap ones out there , I always just go to NAPA and get the best they have in something thats going to keep me going down the road. Replaced mine at 55,000 ( they were toast) with greaseable, at 140,000 still doing great

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greaseable u-joints are weaker then sealed joints,just be aware.

Oh and for greaseable u-joints to actually last you actually need to grease them every 3000 miles if not sooner intervals.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy, you'll be happy to know that I grease mine every oil change (5000 kms) and after every off road trip, along with the whole front end. I figure that a couple of bucks in grease and a half hour of my time is a safe preventative measure.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy, you'll be happy to know that I grease mine every oil change (5000 kms) and after every off road trip, along with the whole front end. I figure that a couple of bucks in grease and a half hour of my time is a safe preventative measure.
I knew you'd grease them.I also use greaseable u-joints but there a little stronger then OEM ones for a KJ(1350's vs 1310's for OEM).It seems I grease them about once a week,OCD I guess,does take awhile to grease the billion zerks my KJ has now(Argh)

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew you'd grease them.I also use greaseable u-joints but there a little stronger then OEM ones for a KJ(1350's vs 1310's for OEM).It seems I grease them about once a week,OCD I guess,does take awhile to grease the billion zerks my KJ has now(Argh)

At work on the rack? Man i'm tired of laying on my back under my KJ every couple months.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks everyone! I think mine are about due. I'm getting vibes under acceleration now after the lift more so under hard acceleration. I deleted the extra isos and that made it better. Now really you can hear a grumble under hard acceleration. Anyway, I don't think I'm too ******* u-joints, so I'm gonna try to get some greaseables. Thanks for the input!! :D

one more thing, I haven't greased anything for a while, what type of grease is best for this kind of thing? Thanks!!

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything that meets the blah-blah ANSI whatever certification. Personally, I use a synthetic chassis lube. Costs a little more and, well, costs a little more, 'bout a buck a tube more than a conventional grease.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic (sorry to jack your thread Rockymountain) but can someone provide a list of all the U-Joints on the KJ that need periodic replacing?

I've done some thread searches and I'm a little confused. People talk about replacing their drive shafts, but can't you just replace the u-joints on them?

I'm assuming we have two u-joints per shaft (front rear).

Anyway, a list of all replacable u-joints would be awesome.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic (sorry to jack your thread Rockymountain) but can someone provide a list of all the U-Joints on the KJ that need periodic replacing?

I've done some thread searches and I'm a little confused. People talk about replacing their drive shafts, but can't you just replace the u-joints on them?

I'm assuming we have two u-joints per shaft (front rear).

Anyway, a list of all replacable u-joints would be awesome.

The front driveshaft has CV joints not u-joints. The rear driveshaft has common u-joints. Some people are having u-joints put on the rear of the front driveshaft when the CV goes bad. Usually the rear joint goes bad and the front continues on. As for stock setup thought, only the rear driveshaft has u-joints. They are very common.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just have someone build you new drive shafts with one Chevy 3/4ton cv joint and one 3/4ton u-joint, on both front and rear shafts... nice heavy duty parts, all completely rebuildable (the CV for these is just two u-joints)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just have someone build you new drive shafts with one Chevy 3/4ton cv joint and one 3/4ton u-joint, on both front and rear shafts... nice heavy duty parts, all completely rebuildable (the CV for these is just two u-joints)
Good luck finding a 1350 yokes for the D30A and 8.25.Took alot of looking to find a 1350 yoke for my HP44 and cost $125(new).

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm... yeah, you could be right, though I think they make a conversion u-joint, half one type, and half the other... i know they make one that will fit a chevy drive shaft to a dodge pinion. they both lock in differently