The Royal Treatment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done giving my KJ the "royal treatment" earlier today.

Changed out the front/rear diffs and engine oil and gave her the Royal Purple stuff.

That front diff is a ****** to fill. Any tips for next time? Let me know what you guys do and I'll tell you how I ended up doing it this time.

Changed out the tcase fluid, too, but couldn't find a Royal Purple ATF (is there such a thing?) so I put Mobil 1 (I think) ATF+4 (I'm sure) in it.

She's got 47k+ on her now. What's a good mileage for the diff fluid change? I think the manual calls for 60k so I should be good 'til at least 100k, right? I'm thinking it might need changed sooner if I decide to tow much with it or if I take her offroad much, right? That probably won't happen, though, since I've got my '09 JK on the way (on order). My KJ is just our Mall Crawler/Pavement Princess.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That front diff is a ****** to fill. Any tips for next time? Let me know what you guys do and I'll tell you how I ended up doing it this time.
I drained mine then used one of those hand pumps with the flexible pvc hose to fill it, much easier than anything else IMO.

She's got 47k+ on her now. What's a good mileage for the diff fluid change? I think the manual calls for 60k so I should be good 'til at least 100k, right? I'm thinking it might need changed sooner if I decide to tow much with it or if I take her offroad much, right? That probably won't happen, though, since I've got my '09 JK on the way (on order). My KJ is just our Mall Crawler/Pavement Princess.
Schedule 'B' (what I would call 'normal driving' where I live) calls for changing the diff fluids every 24K miles. Schedule 'A' goes out to 120K miles and I don't see anything listed for the diffs, it just says to check the t-case fluid every 30K and replace it at 120K :confused:

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fluid changes

I had all my fluids changed at 51k. Basically the manuals 60k service. I was moving and I REALLY like my mechanic and wanted him to go over everything before I left. I just had him check the diff fluids and he said they'd be okay to 75k and we left them alone. The transmission flush made a noticable difference in shifting. I no longer have the hard shifts, which I had always considered a Jeep thing.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 does not make ATF+4,they have a universal ATF but it is not meet the specs for ATF+4,but for the t-case it does not much matter as long as you used ATF.You must use ATF+4 in the ******,Valvoline and Castrol make ATF+4 now along with the ATF+4 found at the dealer.

12,000 miles is the diff fluid change intervel for the "B" maintance list,not 24,000 miles.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 does not make ATF+4,they have a universal ATF but it is not meet the specs for ATF+4,but for the t-case it does not much matter as long as you used ATF.You must use ATF+4 in the ******,Valvoline and Castrol make ATF+4 now along with the ATF+4 found at the dealer.

12,000 miles is the diff fluid change intervel for the "B" maintance list,not 24,000 miles.

Wonder what the difference between the Mobil ATF and ATF+4 is. I looked on mobil 1's website and it says its full SYN but we all know how that goes. :rolleyes:

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I stand corrected, it was Castrol.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this time, since I was doing front/rear diffs, I had 4 quarts of fluid. I just squirted the "top" ~1/3 of 3 bottles into the front and used the rest for the rear. I guess I could've asked the guys at the hobby shop for a pump, but it never crossed my mind. I'm a newbie at this. Honestly, I can't believe I made it through pulling the cover off the rear diff and putting it back on w/o blowing up my rear axle, but it's still hanging in there. :)

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the rear diff cover needs to be pulled off to drain? but it has a fill plug, right? is there a gasket that is needed when replacing? this car is driving me nuts

front has a drain and fill plug?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the rear diff cover needs to be pulled off to drain? but it has a fill plug, right? is there a gasket that is needed when replacing? this car is driving me nuts

front has a drain and fill plug?
The front has a drain/fill plug since you'd need to remove one of the LCA's to remove the cover on the front diff.The rear just use RTV,I use Ultra Gray,to reseal the rear cover.

Latest posts

Members online