The Little Things

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skeeter

Reaction score
Well, I am still on my "honeymoon" with my KJ, but here goes (not in any particular order):

1. EVIC info center (except MPG!!)
2. Full-time, part-time, and low-range!!
3. "Jeep" headlights.
4. Seems like a solid tight build
5. Power leather heated seats
6. Coming from a Ram 2500 4x4,I don't feel like I am "up high" like many of you do (in fact I feel kinda low) but it still beats a car.
7. Full size spare with chrome wheel, not some chintzy "spare" wheel
8. Flip-open rear window.
9. Great location of cruise control buttons
10. In-dash 6 CD changer
11. Most of all - I love driving this thing!!!

Now, a few "here's what they need to improve":

1. Abysmal storage and useless glovebox.
2. I would prefer traditional rear cupholders NOT in the doors. My daughters inevitably leave half-full soda's in there, and when they fling open the door.....you guessed it!
3. Move the heated seat buttons where you can see them!
4. Needs a telescoping steering wheel - I like it closer to my body.

That's it, overall I love this vehicle and it's my first Jeep!

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found some more! (Oh, and I haven't fallen off the planet, just got very busy with work lately...lol)

~The way you can still get your CD out even if it's shut off.
~The way you can still see the time when it's shut off.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
yeah, that flipper glass thing gets a lot of ppl....

I'm just waiting to knock someone out with it, lol.

I haven't quite knocked someone out but gave my best friend a good wack! hahaha, it was GREAT!

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most part, I love driving my Jeep but can't drive it enuf. What I really dislike is the cost of duplicating a key and remote from the dealership. Totally outrageous and ****** your wallet.

robert

2003KJ

Reaction score
I can drive on the highway at 80mph having burned 18.350 gallons of gas and it still doesn't miss a beat (prooved that theory last night....LOL)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Gotta be the built in PowerBook stand!!!!!

You must be registered for see images

Sweetness! (Cheers)

Is that your new one? Did you get a new one?

MNMiata

Reaction score
Here's a couple more....

I like the way the underside of the dash is enclosed in the footwells. It's much more buttoned up. And the pull down knee panel for access is pretty clever too.

Also, even though the oil filter is in a terrible place on the V-6, at least there is a clever little funnel/diversion channel under it. When the little bit of oil drips down during the filter change, the funnel catches it and the channel diverts it to a hole in the skid plate where it can drain without collecting on the undercarriage.

As for spare change as mentioned earlier.... I just found a neat little coin holder at Target. It is branded by Bell and fits down in one of the cup holders. It has those spring loaded cylinders for Quarters, Dimes and Nickles (no pennies though). It's two parts, so you can pull the bottom off and keep other loose items in it. So far it looks like it will do the trick and it was under $10.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What visor extenders? I have an '02 Limited and have a friend with a '04 Renegade, neither of us have these. What Liberties came with visor extenders?

roadrunner said:
Visor extenders. Didn't notice for 6 months until someone else pointed it out!! #-o

Fast heat in the winter! O:)

Tightwadsjeeper

Reaction score
Didn't see if this was posted before, but....

On the 4WD models (at least, on my '05) there's a little plastic piece that routes any oil that spills as you're changing the filter out to the side so that it doesn't drip all over the front axle/drive parts.

Here's an even bigger one...

The oil filler cap is LARGE, and the input tube is basically like a funnel..... so when you pour fresh oil into the vehicle you don't need a funnel (at least, if you're reasonably coordinated) to keep from spilling oil all over the engine!!!

Oooooh!!! One more...

The air intake for the engine is located right near the top of the front of the hood.... you couldn't ingest water into the engine unless you absolutely submerge the front of the hood.... of course, you'd have water in the ****** and God knows where else... but at least you won't hydrolock your engine unless you just take a dive into a lake.

Luis

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old Navy said:
The sound of the diesel engine is like music to my ears. \:D/ (band)

AMEN to that. There is absolutely NOTHING that can compare to the sound of a diesel engine clattering and rattling upon startup on a cold winter day. (whistle)

When moving to the Jeep Liberty from lots of previous pickup trucks, here are a few things I quickly appreciated:

1.) No dash means no storage on the dash, but it also means the windshield is MUCH easier to clean inside!!
2.) Turning radius on this thing is tighter than many cars! I love it...especially at Wal*Mart!
3.) 4-wheel disc brakes! Stop better, work better off road, and are easier to inspect for wear.
4.) Door moldings and armrest provide good spots to rest my elbows while driving.
5.) Visibility is AWESOME for an SUV.
6.) mid 20s for mileage, in a 2.25 ton 4x4?? No matter how I drive it or what I do with it?? WOW!
7.) I used to think the Selec-Trac transfer case was a waste of time, but now I really appreciate it! Still have low and high and 2WD like always, but the extra Full Time position is going to be really awesome this winter!
8.) Short wheelbase ***** for towing, but when not towing it's a dream come true. I can go anywhere off-road despite the crappy ground clearance simply because the wheelbase is so short. Yet there is still adequate space for adults and cargo. Awesome!
9.) Build quality is the best of any vehicle I've ever owned, including some that cost more than my Liberty! No major rattles or squeaks or anything!

Some things that suck about the Liberty:

1.) No legroom for an adult male driver. I get cramped after a short time. They need to make more legroom!
2.) Seats absolutely are pitiful. They stain with pure water drops hitting them, provide no support, are too flat, and are not tilted properly.
3.) Climate controls suck. If I select the "feet only" setting to allow fresh air to hit my feet, the compressor automatically kicks on and wastes fuel. In fact, on my new CRD there are only like one or two settings you can possibly select that DON'T turn on the compressor. Why can't we just have some fresh air???
4.) No 6-speed manual for the CRD. How lame.
5.) Trail Rated badge, but 6 inches of usable ground clearance and crappy donut sized street tires?? Are you kidding?

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I'm the only person on here that's got some complaints. :-k Whatever.

At least the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages! Overall I love this Jeep, otherwise I wouldn't be driving it. The only complaints I have are things that are common complaints with the KJ, and many people have talked about them on many forums. I'm glad Jeep had the guts to try a diesel engine though...man that's sweet.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
gonna compare to my other 4x4s:

drives and rides better on the highway than my Montero, Trooper, or CJ7

more power than the Montero or Trooper

better gas mileage than any of the 3

more comfortable than the Trooper or CJ7 (Montero was pretty close, but still not quite)

way better off road than the Montero, slightly better than the Trooper, almost as good as the CJ7 (the CJ7 also wasn't stock, course, neither was the Trooper)

doesn't drink as much gas as any of 'em (especially the CJ7-built V8s and 4.56 gears don't agree with gas mileage:))

way more fun to scare the crap out of people when doing mild 'wheeling, because they don't expect someone to drive something that new or that nice like that

WAY fun to smoke ricers at the traffic lights when caked in mud!

gripes:

less rear seat room than the Trooper (I don't care, because the seats fold down into a flat floor, if ya catch my drift, but my passengers don't like it)

lack of fitting a 31x10.5x15 without serious rubbing (all 3 of my old rigs could EASILY stuff a bigger tire)

overall ground clearance-see fitting the 31x10.5x15

not much cargo area behind the rear seats

short wheelbase makes for scary trailer towing on the highway (advantage: Montero and Trooper)

little overweight and softly sprung for hard wheelin (advantage Trooper and CJ7)

way to pretty to REALLY beat on (advantage: Trooper)

won't wax a C5 Vette till 75 mph (advantage: CJ7)

chicks call it cute (advantage: Montero and Trooper, chicks still called my CJ7 cute)

Renegade363

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way it handles
the power when you step on the gas
can't wait for it to snow, so I can drive it

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides all of those things, I don't remember the last vehicle I owned where the rear passenger windows rolled all the way down!