the kj 4x4 system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
don't get me wrong, I would like to get top of the line, but since nobody has try this before , neither one of us know if its gonna work, so I'm gonna put it stock first and make sure it works properlly,
that's the only reason I'm going oem

I'd get the basics right....just like you're doing...:)

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get the basics right....just like you're doing...:)

yea, imagine I get a front diff. get it locked, some custom tom woods shafts, and a bunch of nice expensive parts and then it doesn't work, I would be stuck with all that in my garage and have to go thru the hassle of sell them and haaaa no, just get it stock and then go from there, besides I'm not a ******** offroad guy like some guys here, I'm not planning on taking ti to moab or something like that,

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, imagine I get a front diff. get it locked, some custom tom woods shafts, and a bunch of nice expensive parts and then it doesn't work, I would be stuck with all that in my garage and have to go thru the hassle of sell them and haaaa no, just get it stock and then go from there, besides I'm not a ******** offroad guy like some guys here, I'm not planning on taking ti to moab or something like that,

I think you are still missing the boat
what happens if you break down your trans and install a new tail section
then get every thing installed and a week later you find out that the T-case you bought was run for 500 miles with no oil in it and is now toast?
or the front diff had a small hair line crack and it lets go the first time you wheel it

sure any of this could happen on any thing you buy used or new
but if you buy a used 4wd KJ you can go wheel it the next day
and if any thing craps out with in the first week then the place you bought it from has a problem not you

or do what you think is right
I just do not see the big deal about selling the 2wd you have and buying a used 4wd?
in the end going to cost you the same
sell what you have for $10K ,making up numbers here
buy a 4wd with close to the same miles for $13K
cost the same as keeping what you have and making it 4wd

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok now I really think it is dumb
just go to car max
'04 LTD 2wd 47K = $12,150

'04 4wd LTD 55K = $13,988
only $1,838 more?

I say trade up to the 4wd dont even waste your time

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok now I really think it is dumb
just go to car max
'04 LTD 2wd 47K = $12,150

'04 4wd LTD 55K = $13,988
only $1,838 more?

I say trade up to the 4wd dont even waste your time

I would love to do that, the problem is that I'm almost done paying it, and when I tried to trade in they were giving me 3500 for it, I got almost 150K milles I don't wanna be in debt again, u see my point?

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, that fron diff. flexs at those mounts on the front or is it staying still there and only the cv's flex???

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah your axles and front IFS does the flexing at the cv joint, the diff stays put

thankx man, one thing less I didn't know :D

ill probably be getting the front diff soon, I'm gonna start that way

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to do that, the problem is that I'm almost done paying it, and when I tried to trade in they were giving me 3500 for it, I got almost 150K milles I don't wanna be in debt again, u see my point?

hold the phone
150K and you are going to dump this kind of time and money in to it?
what ever blows your hair back

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bother yall again people but does anybody has pics of how the t-case holds with the ******???

Sorry to bring such an old thread

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bother yall again people but does anybody has pics of how the t-case holds with the ******???

Sorry to bring such an old thread
A adapter plate is used.Your 2wd trans has a different rear cone then a 4wd trans.To make your current trans to accept a t-case you will need the 4wd trans output shaft(it is shorter) and completely tear apart your trans and swap out the output shaft,then reassemble and bolt on the ******/t-case adapter then bolt on the t-case.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If ya want a pic to go along with the words, I can snap a pic....

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A adapter plate is used.Your 2wd trans has a different rear cone then a 4wd trans.To make your current trans to accept a t-case you will need the 4wd trans output shaft(it is shorter) and completely tear apart your trans and swap out the output shaft,then reassemble and bolt on the ******/t-case adapter then bolt on the t-case.

So if I get a 4wd ****** it will just bolt on?? And the only difference between the 2wd and the 4wd ****** is the output shaft right?

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol both of you tjkj and hoosier helpful as always and yea I would aprecciate the pics whenever you can

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you an just apic of generally the under side of itu know just so I can have an idea after all the only diference is the output

Members online

No members online now.