The great ball joint debate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello friends, I know this has been discussed many times before, but my curiosity got the better of me. The most recommended K3199 for earlier and the K80767 for later year moog ball joints. Length of stud seemed to be the only difference noted. I wanted to know where exactly that difference is, between the ball and taper or just a longer thread. So I ordered both to check it out. Well turns out they're all the same length, about 4 inches from countertop to tip. Can anyone see the difference? Go ahead and sing it, I did..."one of these things is not like the other, one of these just isn't the same." OK enough suspense, the K80767 hole for the cotter pin is closer to the tip,that's the only difference I could find. If it fits the just like the one currently on the jeep that hole will be below the castle nut, not through it. Silly I know but mystery solved. Time to send one back.

Attachments

• 16270552743222201700321408855346.jpg
    16270552743222201700321408855346.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 45

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ****! Why didn't I see this a few days ago? Got a few 80767 still in the box for the 06 and ordered a pair of 3199 for the 04.

go figure!

I'd be done by now except I chewed up the axle spindle nut whilst driving out the left half shaft.

Dealer only here - monday afternoon !

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well folks, I'm a liar! I hope we can still be friends. As you can see from the date on the original post I bought earlier and later ball joints to compare and decided to go with the earlier of the 2 on my 2005. This was the wrong choice depending on how you look at it.
You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see the whole for the cotter pin barely peaks out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Luckily the kit comes with a nylock nut also. I went with the earlier k3199 bj's because my previous one's were about 1/4 in longer and the pin hole was well below the nut in no mans land doing nothing. I don't know what brand they were. Sorry no picture of previous.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.