Tent Trailers - thoughts, impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CobraNutt:

How's your jumping jack holding up? Got those broken welds taken care off?
How's the warranty/support from them?
So far so good! I don't think they anticipated the abuse I'd put it through the first trip out when I broke the fender welds. Biggest issue is that the fenders and attachments/welds were all aluminum. They wanted to have these light. Understandable. But, they simply didn't hold up to 30 miles of washboard roads at 60+ mph. ;)

They replaced both fenders with their new steel ones that they are putting on all the X4's now. Not quite as solid as I'd like (I can't really attached anything to them like I want to), but they are MUCH more sturdy than the aluminum. I don't anticipate having any issues with them. I do need to find some extensions/flares to match the curve of the fenders...the tires are a little outside because I had to use spacers.

I'm local, so I can just pop into the shop when/if I need to, so warranty work has been terrific. I believe mine is the very first X4 on the road...outside of the shop owners/employees. It's actually one of their prototypes that I begged and pleaded for, so I could get it out on the road and put it to use! They've been really good to me. I've had to have a small patch put in where the trailer started to rub a hole in the canvas material of the tent, but they already had a "fix" for it on the production models that were going out.

So far, I love it for the budget I had for it. Ideally, I would have gone for a Moby1 instead, but I didn't have $25-30k (the way I want it!) laying around. This little trailer suits my needs for now. :)

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Would that happen to be the Somewhat Skeptical Significant Other in the background ?:gr_grin:

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would that happen to be the Somewhat Skeptical Significant Other in the background ?:gr_grin:
Nope! Not mine! I fly solo...for the past 6 years. I'm patiently waiting for my new co-pilot to join me one of these days, but she seems rather elusive. lol! :)

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it yours is the off road version?

Could you elaborate on your purchase (eg. options, extra, et al) and how much was the final damage?
I might want to start saving for one. Looks like I have to buy one from sportman's in AZ.
Thanks.

Pretty versatile.
[YT]kKRGABTo4hY[/YT]

Last edited:

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it yours is the off road version?

Could you elaborate on your purchase (eg. options, extra, et al) and how much was the final damage?
I might want to start saving for one. Looks like I have to buy one from sportman's in AZ.
Thanks.

Pretty versatile.
Yes, mine is the X4...or off-road version of their trailer. I can't get into pricing because I own one of the prototypes, and we struck a pretty good deal on it in order to get me into it early without having to wait for a production model. I had mine on the road before the first production models were even finished. That said...they usually have pretty good show pricing if you can buy one at one of the International Sportsman's Expo. They were just in Phoenix last weekend...and will be in SLC on the 12-15th of March. Expect between $6-7K with pretty much all of the options included. Not cheap, but a nice little rig!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more along this line. ARB® - III Series Rooftop Tent
I seriously considered that route, but decided that I didn't want to deal with either having a tent on top of my DD everywhere I went, or pulling it off and storing it when i wasn't out using it. I was close to pulling the trigger before my trailer became available. Just for fun, here are a couple links I spent some time reading when weighing my options (RTT vs Off-road trailer):

Will An Off-Road Trailer Work For Me? The Off-Road Trailer Conundrum
Is a Roof Top Tent for me? The RTT Conundrum

You should be able to see them without having to register...maybe... Lots of things to consider. :)

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously considered that route, but decided that I didn't want to deal with either having a tent on top of my DD everywhere I went, or pulling it off and storing it when i wasn't out using it. I was close to pulling the trigger before my trailer became available. Just for fun, here are a couple links I spent some time reading when weighing my options (RTT vs Off-road trailer):

Will An Off-Road Trailer Work For Me? The Off-Road Trailer Conundrum
Is a Roof Top Tent for me? The RTT Conundrum

You should be able to see them without having to register...maybe... Lots of things to consider. :)
See a RTT is kinda the way I want to go eventually. I could always get a trailer later on and put the RTT on top of it. First things first though... I gotta start getting into the wilderness more regularly!

dogran999

Reaction score
rw rooftop

I'd love to go for a roof top tent too but then I thought out my logistics and figured I'd rather put my tent in the jeep and my jerry cans on the roof than the other way round.

I got a trailer in the end also.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it look like you also had the black tote carrier that you can make it into a table. is that any good?
Sorry! I missed this! I have the double carrier, but they haven't fit it with legs for the X4 version yet to make it into a table. There is a built in table inside the tent, which is part of the reasoning. I may just come up with something on my own to make the carrier into an outdoor table since I pack it along anyway. We'll see...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out this vid at the 4:20 mark regarding the table I was mentioning.
How different is your x4 to the one in the vid?
Thanks.

[YT]kKRGABTo4hY[/YT]