Tent Trailers - thoughts, impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a small tent trailer...but NOT the usual pop-up type. I would LOVE a Moby1 XTR , but my wallet glares at me every time I look at one. I want something that I can pull off-road on mild trails behind my Liberty. I'm looking at a Jumping Jack X4 and waiting on pricing from the manufacturer. Anyone here have one or have any experience with one of these? I'd love some feedback on them!

Unfortunately, I don't have the capability/resources/time/patience to build one from a military trailer (M101, etc) or I'd probably go that route. Any others I should be aware of? Thanks for any info y'all can provide!

~Gary

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a small tent trailer...but NOT the usual pop-up type. I would LOVE a Moby1 XTR , but my wallet glares at me every time I look at one. I want something that I can pull off-road on mild trails behind my Liberty. I'm looking at a Jumping Jack X4 and waiting on pricing from the manufacturer. Anyone here have one or have any experience with one of these? I'd love some feedback on them!

Unfortunately, I don't have the capability/resources/time/patience to build one from a military trailer (M101, etc) or I'd probably go that route. Any others I should be aware of? Thanks for any info y'all can provide!

~Gary

I have not heard of them but those look sweet, I am pretty tempted by the one Costco carries, It would be perfect for pulling with my Renegade and you can use it as a utility trailer too, I want a full size trailer that I can pull with my truck but this would be cool for Jeepers, I would personally throw some aggressive tires on this trailer and it would be super light for the trails!

Lifetime® Camping Tent Trailer

What do you think?

Last edited:

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of them but those look sweet, I am pretty tempted by the one Costco carries, It would be perfect for pulling with my Renegade and you can use it as a utility trailer too, I want a full size trailer that I can pull with my truck but this would be cool for Jeepers, I would personally throw some aggressive tires on this trailer and it would be super light for the trails!

Lifetime® Camping Tent Trailer

What do you think?
I've seen this trailer as well. Not bad, especially for the price compared to the others, but it is a little more light-duty than I am wanting. I plan on being off-road quite a bit with mine, and I also want to be able to swap wheels/tires to a larger size which requires different hubs and fenders. I also want the trailer brakes that the Jumping Jack X4 has along with the 2500# torsion axle. Again...decent for the price, just not a match for what I am looking for. :)

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine has a Jumping Jack that he might sell me next summer.

One of the benefits of the Jumping Jack is that the lug pattern is the same as the KJ (5x4.5). If you change to more aggressive tire, you could use the trailer tires as spares for the KJ. Of course your trailer could be stranded for a little, but when it comes to getting home in an emergency, I can live with it. I say emergency, because I normally carry a plug repair kit and onboard air, so to take the tires of the trailer, would definitely be an "emergency".

Sorry, I digress...I have the 17" rims, so I would either find a way to fit 17" wheels on the Jumping Jack or just use upgraded 15" wheels. The one thing I am not clear about is, I have rear disc brakes and I am not sure that the 15" rim clears them? Any thoughts?

My other option is to buy a inexpensive tent-trailer, lift it off the frame and fab another elevated frame (on top of the original); and give it a spring-over axle swap to give it more body clearance for larger wheels and tires. Also do some other upgrades, but that would be the priority. I see the "off-road/toyhauler" tent trailers, like Rockwood and StarCraft, but I would feel like an ass the first time I drug the side of it across some rock wall or something. Especially because I am a thrifty (see "cheap bastard"), and I would have a hard time beating it up if I spent more money on my tent trailer than my KJ. And as for the LifeTime trailer from Costco, I have heard some good things (for the price), when used for light use, but I am not a fan of the tent material. One could devise a small family sized tent fitted to a trailer for less.

Anyway, my two cents.

Last edited:

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...I went to the shop (Jumping Jack Trailers is local to me) this past week to check out the X4. I was hoping to see one at the Utah Sportsman's Expo last weekend, but they didn't have room in their display area. I had a pretty good chat with one of the owners there, and I put down a deposit. I am getting one, but I just don't know when, yet.

There isn't much info on their website on the X4 because they haven't officially begun production. They have a couple built that they are taking to some of the outdoor/sportsman's shows, but that's it so far. Order are already coming in though, and I've been told that they have enough to keep them busy through August.

There are a few features that I prefer on the standard trailer/tent that Sportsman's Warehouse carries, like the accessories, and how they hook onto the trailer while the tent is up (cooler rack & water rack). The X4 accessories are quite different. First, there are two sizes of cooler racks for the X4 (single and double) that fit nicely on top when in trailer mode to haul and secure all your coolers or gear. Once the tent is up though, they become stand alone units that you can put anywhere with legs..kinda like a table. In addition, they will have a sink unit and water pump that sets below them for camp use. Personally, I liked the ability to have them attached to the trailer for use, but not a big deal in my book.

The track width of the X4 is smaller, which means two things:
1. It will travel nicely behind a narrower vehicle (like a Jeep) with roughly the same track footprint which helps in those tight spaces!
2. You lose some space on the trailer and inside the base of the tent. (the tent wings are wider than the standard trailer tent though, so it makes up for the lost floor space, and there are "wings" that extend the top deck of the trailer when traveling)

They currently have two different fenders to use..one for standard wheels/tires (PIC BELOW) and one for big wheels and tires. I'm running 255/65-16's on my Libby, and we're pretty sure they'll fit under the standard fenders...but the trailer looks really cool with big ol' 31's and big rims! :)
You must be registered for see images attach

In the pic above, you can also see that there are no sides to the actual trailer itself. It only has a front and back (tailgate). They skipped this because they have found most people don't really remove the tent pod and use it as a utility trailer anyway. But...if that is something you are looking for, then take that into consideration. Although...bolting a couple small side panels on wouldn't be too difficult.

There is some room in front of the box to probably put a small/medium sized box for storage, although they don't build anything for that purpose.

Plenty of room to sleep two of me, or four smaller people. lol! Beds are 6" long.

I'll post more when I get back to their shop and/or pick mine up...which ever comes first. :)

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty sweet and I like the option for bigger tires. But the big question is cash.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty sweet and I like the option for bigger tires. But the big question is cash.
Not cheap...but less expensive than the other trailers I've looked at, other than the Costco version, which is much lighter-duty than this one. Total cost will be about $7k with the options I want, and tax,

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not cheap...but less expensive than the other trailers I've looked at, other than the Costco version, which is much lighter-duty than this one. Total cost will be about $7k with the options I want, and tax,

When you compare the difference between the Costco trailer and the X4 the $7000 price tag is great, At least this way you know it will stand up to the trails, Hope you enjoy it!

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa!!
I might have just changed my mind and headed off in a different direction! After seeing one last weekend on the trail,
I've been researching another option for wilderness travel and easy camp setup....RTT. :peace:

You must be registered for see images

Still looking at roof rack/bar options, but I'm leaning toward this vs the trailer. Lots of pros and cons to weigh though.
I'm going to look at a couple of them this weekend.
I'll report back when I get a chance! :)

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about this set up for a little, then I realized how much of a pain it might be to go anywhere once I set up base camp,i.e. trail-riding, hunting, drive to get supplies. I understand that it isn't the end of the world to pack and unpack, but for the size of tent it holds, I can put the same size tent rolled up and in the back of the KJ. Plus, you have used up your storage on top...then you will need a trailer to haul gear, wood, etc...wait a see a vicious pattern developing.

I am leaning towards the Jumping Jack (easy to set up and a place to sit or stand in inclement weather), but it too has limitations. In this neck of the woods, you can find them used in the $3000-$4000 range. I guess it is all about what your intentions are and how much you want to spend.:33:

Last edited:

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been kicking all of it around quite a bit lately, and the RTT is winning out. Last weekend's excursion had us in a couple places where the trailer would have really been an issue. It does have it's advantages for storage space, but even packed for two people/three days last weekend, I still had plenty of room inside the libby. Storage is also something to consider at the moment. I live in a townhome with a single car garage which is inhabited by my Mustang, so I don't have an easy area to store a trailer. I could make arrangements with friends and family, but I like keeping my stuff close and accessible. I'm funny that way. I can simply leave the RTT on the Libby all summer/fall if necessary and store it against the wall (vertically) in the winter if I want to. Still haven't made final decisions yet. I have some things to work out first with the roof rack I need to have fabbed as well as a couple other projects for carrying fuel and such. I still have lots to think about, and all the input I get along the way is welcome and appreciated! :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I intend to get rich and have both, then let the trail decide which one I take. (I'm still working on that "get rich" part.) :High 5:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a very generous person, but I think I'd better make the money first. ;)

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally...made up my mind, and pulled the trigger today.
This little gem comes home with me tomorrow! :cool:

I had to have some wheel spacers milled out today so I can use my matching Jeep wheels, so I'll have them on in the morning. More pics once I pick it up! :D

...now I just need to get this dang lift installed on the Liberty... Ugh..

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You are going to have a very nice summer. I can see it coming now. :cheers: