Tail lamp assembly retainer clips issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace the rear tail lamp assembly because of a collision and am having issues getting the new assembly to sit in place.

There are two Torx screws on the inner side which work just fine, but the two pegs that go into the holes on the outer side have nothing to sit in securely. The plastic retainers that were in the holes are missing and there is some depression in them from the impact.

I went to the dealer and got two new retainer pieces, but they don't sit in securely because the metal opening is slightly larger and pushed back. Even if they were able to seat well, the round pegs from the tail lamp assembly won't reach the holes far enough to snap in place.

Any ideas? Currently I have a piece of masking tape holding the outer side of the tail lamp assembly in place to the outside metal/painted area of the Jeep. (eyesore and can't be long term)

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daub a little RTV silicone on the new grommets to fill the space?

Bob

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daub a little RTV silicone on the new grommets to fill the space?

Bob

That might work for getting the clip to stay in the hole, but I don't think the lamp assembly pegs will reach far enough inside to lock in place.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Any chance of bending that piece back a bit? It's been a few years since I've had a taillight out on the KJ...can't exactly remember what it looked like.

Either that or maybe take some washers to put the clips the clips in the original spots using the RTV silicone or some sort of adhesive?

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance of bending that piece back a bit? It's been a few years since I've had a taillight out on the KJ...can't exactly remember what it looked like.

Either that or maybe take some washers to put the clips the clips in the original spots using the RTV silicone or some sort of adhesive?

The washer idea might work. Any ideas on how to "pull" the metal back out from the inside?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my suggestion would be a rubber grommet. they have different outer diameters and inner diameter as well. I know ACE hardware has them but since they're all independently owned YMMV.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get it to stay in with some RTV silicone. Thanks for the help everyone!

Latest posts

Members online