Synthetic winch line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Should ThunderbirdJunkie go 3/8 or 5/16? He can fit 125' of the 5/16 and 100' of the 3/8 on his junk. Leaning toward the 3/8, because it's stronger, but will a KJ really NEED 5/16? The winch originally came with 125' of 5/16 steel cable.
Hooks? Safety thimble? Which one should be on there?

What line is good? What should be avoided?

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the 3/8 then If I start wheeling, you can pull me out.... The pig wieghs #7000 so you'll need the extra strength! :D

cuatroXcuatro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went for the extra length on mine, and I've gotten a lot of use out of those extra feet. I always use a snatchblock where line speed isn't important, which is almost all of the time, so those feet come in pretty handy.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/8" aircraft grade steel cable

What brand is the winch?

BTW you can double your line capacity with a snatch block, aw, you prolly already know that. If you planning on getting stuck, a snatch 'em strap would be good too.

I had all that stuff back in the day.

8000 lb. Warn winch,
plate steel front bumper,
forged-steel tow hooks,
snatch 'em strap,
snatch block,
several lengths of high strength steel chain and forged steel hooks,
hi-lift jack

I bought most of the stuff from Dick Cepek in Cali when wheeling was in it's heyday.

Last edited:

cuatroXcuatro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that synthetic line loses strength rapidly as temperature increases, which can happen very quickly when the winch brake is internal, typical of most winches where the brake is in the drum the line is wrapped around. www.winchline.com offers a combination line, with high temp resistant fireline for the first couple layers, then conventional synthetic line thereafter.
If you have an 8274 winch with an external brake this is not an issue.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Not going to use steel. It doesn't have any on it now, no point in buying something inferior.

'sides, they make blue winch line, so it'll match:)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, ThunderbirdJunkie has been trying to come up with a comeback for a couple hours.

YOU WIN THIS TIME, YOUNG STONER!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Does ThunderbirdJunkie want a safety thimble or a hook?

He believes the hook will be more versatile...not really sure what the thimble will do more safely?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Use the thimble and a shackle,much safer.If you need to pull someone out that does not have recovery points they don't deserve to be unstuck.

Haven't seen a safety thimble in person, almost doesn't look like it'd go around a lot of guys shackles that ThunderbirdJunkie wheels with though.