Sweet Cross drilled rotors and pads. $285.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG-20120709-00081.jpg
    IMG-20120709-00081.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 54

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the same kit from AutoAnything. They've been very good so far - I tow a boat and it stops the rig on a dime. No pedal pulse, very sure pedal feel with no fade even on long downhill stops. Impressive.

Troy, if the cross drilling & slots are for show then I like the decoration. If they do help even a little then I appreciate the bonus. The kit was worth it IMO.

Bob

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crossdrilled rotors help with asthetics, weight reduction, and with venting of gases formed at the boundry where rotor meets pad. Problem is, you loose swept surface for the pad to rub against, and you loose mass, to help with heat control. My experience has been, crossdrilled rotors warp more easily.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are that non effective, why do most high end sports cars have them...
For looks.

Drag racing is where they came from for weight reduction.Look at all major racing,NASCAR,Indy,Formula 1,none use cross drilled rotors.

Formula 1............
You must be registered for see images attach

NASCAR............

Short tracks..........
You must be registered for see images attach

Indy car............
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can find pictures too.

Attachments

• 3616710721_9a867388a6.jpg
    3616710721_9a867388a6.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 19
  • AWE-Porsche-750R-Avalon-Motorsports-4-WEB.jpg
    AWE-Porsche-750R-Avalon-Motorsports-4-WEB.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 26
  • jeffgt3brakes2.jpg
    jeffgt3brakes2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 24
  • user75657_pic185960_1188271752.jpg
    user75657_pic185960_1188271752.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Ferrari_F430_Challenge_Brake.jpg
    Ferrari_F430_Challenge_Brake.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread title should be "Brake ****" now..................:smokin:

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can find pictures too.
Right from Wilwood........

PSlots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to “glazing” and the slots tended to help “scrape or de-glaze” them. Also, cross-drilling and/or slotting the rotor for racing purposes was beneficial by providing a way to expel the gasses created when the bonding agents employed to manufacture the pads began to break down at extreme temperatures. This condition is often referred to as “outgassing.” When it does occur, the driver still has a good firm brake pedal, but a significant reduction in friction. Normally this only happens at temperatures witnessed in racing. However, with today’s race pad technology, “outgassing” is no longer a concern with pads designed for racing.
So in the final analysis, drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood provides rotors slotted, drilled or plain. For most performance applications, slotted is the preferred choice. With certain pad material, slotting can help wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the coefficient of friction between the rotor and the pad. A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage; however, for street and occasional light duty track use, they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors.

From StopTech............

For many years most racing rotors were drilled. There were two reasons - the holes gave the "fireband" boundary layer of gasses and particulate matter someplace to go and the edges of the holes gave the pad a better "bite".
Unfortunately the drilled holes also reduced the thermal capacity of the discs and served as very effective "stress raisers" significantly decreasing disc life. Improvements in friction materials have pretty much made the drilled rotor a thing of the past in racing. Most racing rotors currently feature a series of tangential slots or channels that serve the same purpose without the attendant disadvantages.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That NASCAR short track pic looks like the surface is grooved though. Still, same principle as a slotted or cross-drilled. Vent reliefs for off-gassing. I would agree though, that loss of mass could create overheating/warping problems.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That NASCAR short track pic looks like the surface is grooved though. Still, same principle as a slotted or cross-drilled. Vent reliefs for off-gassing. I would agree though, that loss of mass could create overheating/warping problems.
Yes NASCAR uses slotted rotors on short courses but they require it to help keep glazing down due to 2000+ degree heat they see in those races.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they glow red hot after each straightaway. Pretty amazing. a couple of those rotors probably cost more than my KJ.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK gang, I feel sufficiently spanked.

I will report back every few hundred miles. If the rotors warp or the brakes otherwise suck though, I may stay in hiding...
:hidesbehindsofa:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK gang, I feel sufficiently spanked.

I will report back every few hundred miles. If the rotors warp or the brakes otherwise suck though, I may stay in hiding...
:hidesbehindsofa:

Bob

Its been good seeing you Bob
Will miss ya!:happy175:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they glow red hot after each straightaway. Pretty amazing. a couple of those rotors probably cost more than my KJ.
There no more expensive then your average 1 ton pickup rotors.There is nothing fancy about them at all besides they are ment for NASCAR use and built to there specs.Same material's used as your other premium rotors.

Now the Indy and F1 rotors cost about $10,000 per corner,$15,000+ with pads since there carbon/carbon brakes which do not start working till about 4000 degrees.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean...they were cheap...I would take em in a heart beat.
Cheap is not what you want for one of the most important systems in your vehicle.Granted you don't have to buy the highest dollar stuff,just quality stuff that ussually does cost a little more.

I've seen what cheap does,the cheap owner beats the paramedics to the seen of the accident by about a half an hour.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want better feel
and stronger holding power
esp. on long down hills
SS braided lines
Made the TJ stop much much better
only thing I changed

X2 Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd bet even Tjkj would agree with that too.