Suspension for driving faster than I should?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiresix

Reaction score
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an Econo Lift, bump stops, and a set of 245/75/16 Duratracs. However, I'm hoping for a bit of advice before I make the decision final.

I know the liberty isn't exactly prerunner material, but it's what I have, and I love the thing as a DD. When I off road with my buddies, they all drive like they're running trophy trucks instead of Cherokees. It's hard to keep up when it doesn't even feel like I have bump stops (I do). The ride is just BRUTAL when compared to my friends stock FJ. We run flatter trails at 60+mph...

I guess what I'm asking is this:

1. Are the ironman shocks good for this sort of driving?
2. Should I get OME instead?
3. Has anyone on the forum tried hydraulic bump stops on their KJ?
4. Or should I just give up all together, and buy a RZR?

Also, I understand and accept the risks of driving fast. Please don't be concerned about my safety. This is the kind of stuff I've done for fun since I was a kid.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're going to be racing out through the desert go with the adjustable coilovers that JBA has. I think they would do a better job for you.
Of course anything is going to be 25 times better than stock suspension and nothing is going to drive as well as a full on/ pro built trophy truck at those speeds. You're asking the suspension to do more than what it was designed to do

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On just regular gravel roads with my ironman suspension I'll do 70-80 with no effort.. the jeep feels stable

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something tells me that with a normal lift you'll be able to keep up with Cherokees at high speeds. Being that they are solid up front and we're independent. Would coilovers be better? Duh! But if you're on a budget...

As a side note, dessert runners use independent suspension. It reacts faster and is much more stable than SFA. Just flexes less.

wiresix

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably just go with the econo lift. It's not like I'm jumping the thing. (not intentionally), and in a year or so after I've read a few books on suspension design, I might fab up something a little more suited to what I want out of it. I've always wanted to design and build a dual sport, so I think modifying an existing suspension is a good way to get my feet wet.

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest concern I would have is uca contact with big drops. Normally it's controlled at low speeds when you're crawling, but when you're at high speeds....