Stuck lug nut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedKJR

Reaction score
I have a lug nut that is stuck, very stuck. The most interesting part is the dealer had all my tires off a few months ago for the recall on the rear control arms, they gave me a free inspection. I had to jump on my wrench to get any of the lugs off. I got them all off except one. Rounded it off and bought the Craftsman bolt out, which are amazing by the way just wish they where half inch drive. I broke my impact 1/2" to 3/8' adaptor and the lug still hasn't moved. I took it to a shop and they said my best bet was to try and break the nut with a chisel all that did was mangle the nut. The only thing I have left to try is to drill the stud out. Anyone know what size drill bit I need?

Sorry for the long post needed to vent a little

RedKJR

Reaction score
I will have to come from the front I think. This is on the front passenger side, I don't think there is any way to get to the hub

RedKJR

Reaction score
I have a grinder but not sure how I can get the tapered part of the nut off. I am not against buying a dremel.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could either cut the stud shorter to have less to drill through, but I don't recommend drilling. If you don't hit the hole in the hub just right, you'll end up having to replace the hub. I would use a cut off wheel and cut sideways on the nut as far down as possible, and either put a chisel on it to break it or a pair of vise grips and the nut should come apart.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drill out the lug nut hammer out the stud and press in a new stud will save you a lot of time

RedKJR

Reaction score
When you say drill out the lug nut what do you mean? Drill down the center of the bolt or drill on the actual bolt?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Have you considered unbolting the hub assy, brake caliper bracket and brake hose?

Shit, nevermind. Can't get to the axle nut...unless you have steel wheels and aren't afraid to chop up your centercap...

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind because the Matrix is real, Neo.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pepboys sells a specialty socket for damaged lugs and locking lugs, its not a traditional bolt out, its a 2 piece impact socket set and the socket has a left hand thread inside, it bites into the lug and it comes right off, them you just need to grind flats onto the lug and clamp the lug into a vise to get the socket off. i used it on mine and it worked great. its like 30 bucks IIRC

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.