Strut Compressor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BARman

Reaction score
So I’m putting a 2” lift my liberty, we are literally millimeters short of getting the clevis bolt in line with the lower control arm. Is possible to use a strut compressor to give that extra quarter inch at most? Also, the strut would be together so if something came undone it would be contained. Not sure if a compressor would fit in the coils though?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not entirely clear on your situation, is the LCA too low? Or is the clevis off to the side? I had a jack holding up the control arms when I did my lift and that was how I adjusted the position.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have fought this several times. Its usually a combination of prybars, ratchet strap or come-along, and a long center punch to use for aligning the bolt holes.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Far easier and safer to pay a shop to assemble the front strut assemblies. A good shop will be happy to take 50$ and put them together for you.

BARman

Reaction score
Far easier and safer to pay a shop to assemble the front strut assemblies. A good shop will be happy to take 50$ and put them together for you.
I agree, but my struts are together and the lift is mounted on top, no need for it to be taken apart. The compressor would be used while installing to give more room for the clevis, not to assemble the strut.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I agree, but my struts are together and the lift is mounted on top, no need for it to be taken apart. The compressor would be used while installing to give more room for the clevis, not to assemble the strut.
Jack it up high enough on stands and they slide right in. I found 3ton jack stands are too short, but 5-8 ton do the job.

Libertylubtx

Reaction score
Can you pull the clevis into place with a ratchet strap?
I used a ratchet strap to get the clevis lined back up after trying everything else I could think of, it worked out the best being that adjustments were easy to control with cranking the handle as needed while guiding with other hand.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loosen everything! 4 strut nuts, upper clevis bolt, and remove upper ball joint from knuckle. Now you'll find it extremely easy to put your clevis bolt in, you may have to put a jack under lower control arm to get upper ball joint back in. Then with the weight of the Jeep on it tighten everything up. No straps or pry bars needed.

Dirtyrat

Reaction score
So I’m putting a 2” lift my liberty, we are literally millimeters short of getting the clevis bolt in line with the lower control arm. Is possible to use a strut compressor to give that extra quarter inch at most? Also, the strut would be together so if something came undone it would be contained. Not sure if a compressor would fit in the coils though?
I couldn’t find a strut compressor that worked for my ome springs. So I used ratchet straps. I know it’s not the best idea. But it worked for me.