Strange Noise Under the Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mri

Reaction score
This sounds funny but my 03 Lib. is making a farting type noise under the hood. It happens at random times while driving, at a light and even when I had the car off the other day. Has anyone experienced this noise before? I'm thinking maybe a pressure realase somewhere but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be great!
Thanks ](*,)

mri

Reaction score
Is that normal? It just started doing it recently and I've had it since 2003.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The purge pump kicking on is normal.. Its not normal however if youve never heard it before?

Have you tried popping your hood to see if you can locate the "fart?" Haha.. O:)

mri

Reaction score
not sure if this is normal

Im not sure if this a normal noise lol the problem is it makes the noise at random times and it's a very fast noise and hard to locate. I'll take a look though. Thanks for the help.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise

It "might" be the blend door in the HVAC plenum losing or gaining vacuum, causing the noise you hear. Do you turn your control knob to off when shutting off the Jeep? And then turn it on going down the road?
Just a thought.

mri

Reaction score
HVAC

yes normally i shut it off when the car is off and turn it on when driving. I just dont know why it would be doing this all of a sudden. I guess something would need to be replaced?

cmontel727

Reaction score
I'm sure this post does not help your problem, but my 02 liberty started doing the same farting noise last year. For the life of me I can not figure it out. It does sound like some sort of vacum dump. I have been waiting for something to stop working and then track down the problem. Hope knowing your liberty is not the only one who farts on a regular basis helps \:D/

Latest posts

Members online