Stock suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im making my short list of things I want to do on my new 04 liberty Columbia. One of them is get some new shocks/struts. All the searches come back with lift kit responses but mine is a daily driver/grocery getter. I need the 4x4 for snow and my hill so a lift isn't important right now. What is best route to go if I just wanna replace what I have. figure she is well past due at 10yrs old and 75000 miles. I see coilover sets and struts pretty cheap on rockauto but don't know if im just wasting my time going that route. Thanks for the insight.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with moog full strut replacements if you dont do a full spring kit. I have the moogs on my 02. My ironman rides better

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
At 75,000 miles and a 04 it would be foolish and a waste of money to only replace the shocks. Replacing springs and shocks is the only way to go all around.
The "strut" replacements are OK but generally no better and possibly worse than stock.
If you think 75,000 is too early for full replacement I've had them at my place with similar miles and sitting almost two inches below stock height
Aftermarket springs and shocks like Ironman and OME provide a much better over all ride and handling as well so even if you never go off of nice paved roads its still an upgrade

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant replaceing the fronts (spring and shock) which I thought were called coilovers. and the rear which I thought was a struck assembly. So in my mind I was replacing everything but maybe I am mistaken...open to an education if I am miss understanding the libertys suspension system. I just want a nice factory ride that is durable so what ever will get me that then I am open too

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory ride isnt nice at all....well not compared to the Old Man Emu or Ironman or JBA coilovers. But these will give you a lift, but the ride is awesome. I prefer to ride in my 06 that's liftes 4" and 32s e rated mud tires than my 02 with the moogs complete assembly and p rated street tires. The 02 feels more spongy and the 06 is firm and feels more planted (even with no sway bar in the rear on the 06)

You will spend about the same on good "factory replacements" as you would with the ironman kit.

My 02 is 2wd so no need for a lift on it.

Last edited:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are the exact ones i got from rock auto for my 02. I also bought the matching moog rear springs and shocks from auto parts store. I spent right at $400.

For 200-300 dollars more you can get ironman springs front and rear from JBA, bilstein front shocks from online dealer and use a coupon, and rear shocks from a dodge durango. Thats how mine was done at first and i kept it under 600.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant replaceing the fronts (spring and shock) which I thought were called coilovers. and the rear which I thought was a struck assembly. So in my mind I was replacing everything but maybe I am mistaken...open to an education if I am miss understanding the libertys suspension system. I just want a nice factory ride that is durable so what ever will get me that then I am open too

You were first talking about struts and then shocks etc, so was confused
Yes we have coilovers on front ( coil spring over a shock) rear is just coil spring with shock mounted beside of it
Factory ride like mentioned by 4x4kayak is anything but good, I swapped mine out at 20,000 miles and that was 19,500 too late. With OME or Ironman it will ride smoother and for example take potholes / rail road crossings much better . My step fathers 05 wears me out to drive it due to having to slow down more, rougher ride on the Interstate etc, where as mine handles and rides 50 times better

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having a tough time saying stock suspension and 4x4 jeep in the same sentence.
The OEM stock springs & shocks were ..how do I say it...pathetic.
They started baggin from day one and going over railway tracks dead slow was not my idea of good suspension.
Going off road stock was not going to happen.
I hate the sound of scraping skid plates, trying to clear speed bumps anyways.
Ya I OME lifted mine, got all the goodies and all I can say is..YES!
Even going taller to the grocery store is better now LOL...Railway tracks hit em at 30mph!
A smooth ride, handling greatly improved, new 4.5 a-arms, a little grease, and I am good to go....anywhere...
Ok so we have a member that wants to save a few bucks and just do new OEM spring & shock replacement.
That is fine as long as you still do it right the first time.
Would I be wanting a Moog replacement knowing how heavy the front of the Jeep is...AH NO...
The question is if you want to remain stock, are you willing to put some good $ in to get real quality parts?
If yes you want to stay stock and get the good stuff...then what..??
I thought JBA use to offer non lifted Old Man Emu springs/shocks?
Or even a OEM Bilstein/ OME combo might work..
What other quality components could be used in a stock configuration? IDK??

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say go with ironman all around and just don't add the extras (top plate, clevis, ISO).. It will put you just over stock height and the ride will be vastly improved.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn those prices are accurate on the moog kits for the front? that's less than what I was seeing for just the top hats!

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I be wanting a Moog replacement knowing how heavy the front of the Jeep is...AH NO...

The Moogs arnt the best, they are ok. Just ok.

damn those prices are accurate on the moog kits for the front? that's less than what I was seeing for just the top hats!
Yep, its from rock auto. Just pay shipping (which is very reasonable) and wait a few days.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say go with ironman all around and just don't add the extras (top plate, clevis, ISO).. It will put you just over stock height and the ride will be vastly improved.

^^^^^ That

Excellent springs and shocks, you'll be back to factory ride height or just a bit more and your Jeep will ride great.

I rode in a friend's '05 Libby recently with its stock suspension and I was reminded again why I'm so thankful I swapped out my suspension. Completely different rides - essentially different vehicles.

Bob

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rode in a friend's '05 Libby recently with its stock suspension and I was reminded again why I'm so thankful I swapped out my suspension. Completely different rides - essentially different vehicles.

Bob
This^^^^^^

I have an Ironman/OME lift for my daily driver and we have a couple of stock KJ's here at work and I agree that the stock ride is miserable compared to my lifted KJ. I'll ride around in a stock KJ for a couple hours then hop in mine to go home and it's soooooooo much better. MUCH softer on the hard bumps. The only thing the stock KJ's do better is cornering, but it's a jeep and if you're looking for something that corners you're never going to be happy.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the Ironman front shocks are not available from jeepinbyal, rear shocks and front/rear springs are still on their website

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the ironman better than ome or just different than? JBA coilovers seem real nice but probably outta my pricerange and not really needed for me.

Latest posts

Members online