Stock suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some say Ironman rides a little better. I went from regular Ironman springs to heavy duty OME springs up front and honestly couldn't tell that much difference. OME springs will give an extra 1/4 to 1/2" over the Ironman's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not too much difference like has been mentioned, I've ran both OME and ironman as well

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks guys. all new factory replacement stuff is like 400 on rockauto and I can get all new OME stuff for 800 so that seems like a no brainer to get the heavier duty equipment that also gives a little lift and better ride. Will 1.5 inches change anything on my jeep as far as durability or geometry that I need to think about (I read larger lifts need new UCA's etc). I have a nice garage and plenty of tools. Is install a full OME setup something a feller can do himself? Final question is the two variations of OME, I see standard and heavy duty options when I look up. Which do I want? Also I searched OME website and they don't list a liberty as a vehicle option under Jeep. Why then does Jeepinbyal and other places list this vehicle if the manufacturers website doesn't even list systems for libertys?

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks guys. all new factory replacement stuff is like 400 on rockauto and I can get all new OME stuff for 800 so that seems like a no brainer to get the heavier duty equipment that also gives a little lift and better ride. Will 1.5 inches change anything on my jeep as far as durability or geometry that I need to think about (I read larger lifts need new UCA's etc).The OME is not a large enough lift on it's own to warrant new UCA, "Geometry will be fine, however an alignement is suggested after screwin around with suspension I have a nice garage and plenty of tools. Is install a full OME setup something a feller can do himself? Yes this can be done by a feller like yourself. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and can use Google you will be fine Final question is the two variations of OME, I see standard and heavy duty options when I look up. Which do I want?Most go with either the medium(926) or the heavy(927)but the one I see suggested the most is the 927. I just recently started the process of acquiring components and am going with the heavy(927) Also I searched OME website and they don't list a liberty as a vehicle option under Jeep. Why then does Jeepinbyal and other places list this vehicle if the manufacturers website doesn't even list systems for libertys?I do not know. Perhaps you could ask OME

Bert

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You will get 2.5 inches of lift not 1.5
If thats all you install ( no extras like clevis etc ) then no UCAs are needed
Get the 927/948 combo as far as springs, make sure to get the longer rear shocks
Depends on your knowledge of tearing things apart and reinstalling, fairly easy, some of the install threads are not worth much but most are plus can always ask on here
Take the front springs to a local shop and have them compressed

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Also I searched OME website and they don't list a liberty as a vehicle option under Jeep. Why then does Jeepinbyal and other places list this vehicle if the manufacturers website doesn't even list systems for libertys? "

Outside of North America the Liberty is called Cherokee.

Gyro

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
"Also I searched OME website and they don't list a liberty as a vehicle option under Jeep. Why then does Jeepinbyal and other places list this vehicle if the manufacturers website doesn't even list systems for libertys? "

Outside of North America the Liberty is called Cherokee.

Gyro

Not sure where you are looking but just pulled this from the ARB Old Man Emu site literally 2 minutes ago
OLD MAN EMU SUSPENSION SYSTEMS
MODEL LOCATION DESCRIPTION TYPE LIFT QUANTITY PART NO.
GAS FRONT GAS - STOCK/LIGHT LOAD SPRING 1.5" 1 2925
NITROCHARGER SPORT STRUT 2 90009
FRONT GAS - MEDIUM LOAD (0-150LBS) SPRING 1.5" 1 2926
FRONT GAS - HEAVY LOAD (150LBS TO GVW) SPRING 1.5" 1 2927
DIESEL FRONT DIESEL - STOCK/LIGHT LOAD SPRING 1.5" 1 2926
FRONT DIESEL - MEDIUM LOAD (0-110LBS) SPRING 1.5" 1 2927
FRONT DIESEL - HEAVY LOAD (110-220LBS) SPRING 1.5" 1 2790
ALL REAR GAS/DIESEL - LIGHT LOAD SPRING 1.5" 1 2947
NITROCHARGER SPORT SHOCK 2 60069
REAR GAS/DIESEL - MEDIUM LOAD SPRING 1.5" 1 2948
NITROCHARGER SPORT SHOCK 2 60069
REAR OE REPLACEMENT SHOCK 2 N1341
OPTIONAL REAR LONG TRAVEL NITROCHARGER SHOCK 2 N132L2
1 Rear N134 for use with OE coils only
2 The N132L long travel shock is designed for 2.5-3” of lift and requires a coil spring bump stop.

and since I always preach bumpstops, look at the end remark, number 2

Last edited:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to reiterate what Tom said - skip the 925's and the 926's at get the HD 927's up front. They will NOT give you a harsh ride at all. I have the 927's and friggin love them....

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have CRD springs in my 3.7l its firm, not at all harsh or bad. I like it. When i added the bumper and winch it was perfect.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are the CRD springs the 927's or the 790's?

790s are rated at 500 lb
927s are rated at 400 lb which is actually 10 lb lower than a stock CRD spring @ 410 lb
Not sure why anyone would install a lower rated spring on a CRD but ????
I've had the 927s/790s mixed with gasser Franky parts, Ironman and JBA coilovers, trying to figure what to test next

Last edited:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or a double front axle!

Bert

I like how you think!!! Too bad ford already made a IFS SFA Hybrid front suspension called a "twin traction beam axle"

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely a ford HD (3/4 or 1 ton) This set up(albeit beefed up substantially) is mostly used for high speed racing as in dakkar baja KOH.

Bert

Latest posts

Members online