Stock height suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
I have to replace soon, and im not planning on putting in a lift, not anytime soon anyway. so, i have to go stock height for now. any suggestions on a replacement to the OEM ones?

TIA

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're talking shocks and struts, so I'd have to say Ranchos all the way....

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
But why not lift it? Even 1 inch, just to stay higher than those other suckers (like ME!!). If I was replacing suspension, I would definitely want to get a bit of extra height.

PS: Yesterday I parked next to 2002 Grand Cherokee, and I was still taller, with no lift. That was a nice scene right there.

richre1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if someone wanted to just raise thier libby up a bit more but not do a lift kit is it possible?? and what would you guys do.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
But why not lift it? Even 1 inch, just to stay higher than those other suckers (like ME!!). If I was replacing suspension, I would definitely want to get a bit of extra height.

PS: Yesterday I parked next to 2002 Grand Cherokee, and I was still taller, with no lift. That was a nice scene right there.

cuz it will be a waste. why spend the money on something i really wont use (tho i wont dispute the fact that it will look cool)

besides, my extra funds are already allocated for other things. i hate to say it, but for the time being the jeep hobby is on hiatus.

Ranchos it is then..now where to get a good deal on such things

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are just wanting to replace the shocks, then ya, ranchos are the way to go.

All J's has everything you need, but sometimes they are alittle expensive.

OME shocks ride good, but they are the most expensive.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have RS5000s and I have been happy with them. However, from what I've heard about NYC streets, the 9000s, while a little pricey, may be a much more comfortable idea. They are adjustable and Rancho's upper level shock. I've heard to avoid the RSX shocks.

steepcreekfreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do oem. The stock stuff *****. Keep it low if you want but go with aftermarket for a better ride.

I, like you, waited till the OEM's were worn out.

I wish I had put a lift on mine years ago. It rides so much better with the higher spring rate. I think the stocks are too soft for the wieght of the kj. Makes it ride more like a car but it bottoms out too easy and it sags in the turns.

IMHO

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
rancho's got discount at 4wheel parts
http://www.4wheelparts.com/manufact...=90&utm_source=_04_26_07_RES&utm_medium=email

buy 3 get 4th free.. (who would need 3?)

Buy 3 Get the 4th FREE
Rancho Shocks are the unanimous choice of off-road professionals. Buy three and the fourth is on us! Offer valid through 4/30/07 or while supplies last

don't know about these but
Pro Comp Complete Suspension Systems --- ah, no liberty
FREE Shocks & Up to
$200 OFF Installation
Take advantage of this limited time offer and equip your rig with a high performance, state-of-the-art suspension kit from a global frontrunner in lift kits.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also just got e-mail from 4WheelDrive
Purchase any 4WDH Suspension kit and receive FREE Shipping. Offer valid through 4/30/07 while supplies last.

and

Skyjacker Nitro & Hydro Shocks
$35 Mail-in Rebate
Buy 4 Nitro or Hydro shocks and submit the rebate form to receive $35 CASH BACK!

Rancho Shocks
Buy 3 Get the 4th FREE
Applies to all Rancho shocks. Offer valid through 4/30/07 while supplies last.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny I was told to avoid the RSXs. I was told that there were too soft for offroad usage and too firm for onroad. :confused:

I would say about 60% + of lifted KJ owners run the RSX shock option. Those have been the ones recommended by many. I myself run the RSX shocks and have had no soft riding while off-roading nor normal street rolling. I am sure there are shocks that give an even better ride, but for the cost and availability I think the Rancho RSX's are great!

65thkj

Reaction score
If I was replacing my shocks w/ OEM height I would go with Monroe Reflex.

Rancho RSXs are good shocks but a little pricey. IMO definately better than 5000s If you are on a budget and want a shock that is good all around and not quite as expensive as Ranchos Monroe Reflex shocks have great on road ride/handling and are good for some offroad too. Plus usually on sale at pepboys/advance etc...