Stiffer Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'03 KJ with OME med springs

it is all about leverage
the more weight you get further from the pivot point the more force it will apply to that point

EXACTLY! but there are also a couple differences bc you have OME MD coils and Troy has some of the first skyjacker coils which I believe are 25 # more than the OME HD coils, I have OME HD and when me and my friend stand on my hitch it doesnt go down 1.5" maybe 3/4" and we probably weigh 375# together, and lots of troys weight is right over his rear coils like the tool box, etc, so there isnt much leverage there

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just measured. I have less than 100 pounds of equipment in the back. If i take it all out it makes less than a quarter of an inch of difference. The difference in clearance between the top of the tire and the fender flares is 1.75" between the front and back.

So to try and even it out i could first try another rear isolater. But which one the top or bottom - i already have an extra top one and I don't want the springs to fall out. If that doesn't work than i may try jeepinbyal's 4" coil springs to give the extra lift.

;);););););););););););););)
;);):D;):D:D;):D:D;):D:D:D;)
;);):D;):D;);):D;);):D;):D;)
;);):D;):D;);):D;);):D;););)
;):D:D;):D:D;):D:D;):D;););)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just measured. I have less than 100 pounds of equipment in the back. If i take it all out it makes less than a quarter of an inch of difference. The difference in clearance between the top of the tire and the fender flares is 1.75" between the front and back.

So to try and even it out i could first try another rear isolater. But which one the top or bottom - i already have an extra top one and I don't want the springs to fall out. If that doesn't work than i may try jeepinbyal's 4" coil springs to give the extra lift.

;);):D;):D;);):D;);):D;):D;)
;);):D;):D;);):D;);):D;););)
;):D:D;):D:D;):D:D;):D;););)
Go for the extra upper isolator.When I took off my rear bumber/carriers/gas tank skid I gained about 1.5" of rear lift(RL can verify).I did add 2 extra rear isolators to make up for my added weight I carry all the time and keep my 3.75" of lift.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J-thompson: Nobody is saying you don't know your stuff, you probably seen more action then most of us.

We are trying to help out ICARL on his sagging problem.

Second attempt to keep this in line with the JKJ easy goin' feel. And the last one.

ok
back on topic and my what 3rd try
this time in as plain english as I know
you do not need stiffer springs
you need to take some weight out
you are probably carrying twice as much weight as you REALLY need
trust me I took a bunch out ,close to 1/2 and I noticed a difference in how my Jeep handles off road
it is easier to go up hill and more control on the down hills
also over logs and stumps it is much smother
I have springs in the rear for a hard top ,I had a hard top, I weighed it before I sold it ,120# IIRC, then when I loaded my "stuff" I tried to keep it under 100#'s ,which falls well with in what the mfg. intended the springs to hold and presto a good ride on and off road
also no sag or funny rake

again take some weight out do not add stiffer springs or some kind of spacer
you just dont need all that weight ,a waste of fuel for 1

cmohr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on topic, the CRDSTU springs seem to be best for this type of abuse.

They are King Springs with a bit of Stuart magic. Problem is he only ships Fedex.

You must be registered for see images

No....the one on the right is not stock, that's a OME 948....

Wanna know more? click

Yep, they are mine, and those coils where designed specifically for handing extra weight, without the rear end going tooo high.. without weight.

They have about an extra 80 lbs compression and are a 16.5 mm wire instead of the 16mm used in the 948OME's and Kings, the material is actually used in racecars (V8 Supercars here in Australia) Its stiffer and stronger with better memory.

The idea was to hold up the extra weight I carried correctly, not just throw in longer coils that compress down to an acceptable height with load. The car only raises up about just over an inch when unlaiden, and when packed up (with lots if you followed the link you'll see just how much I put in there) still gives me 3.5-4 inchs of lift and excellent drivability, then when unpacked, only raises up and inch so the car is not over lifted. These special make coils are not just longer they have been engineered to do a specific purpose. I say to people, if all you want is lift, these are probably not for you, but, if you want lift and load carrying ability..... These are "The Poo".

Remember, coils don't just make a lift, you need matching bumpstops to stop overcompression of longer coils and matched shocks to get the best out of articulation. Also if you are going BIG, I highly recommend you look at a drop bracket for ball joint attached the upper rear control arms, I think AllJ's of Al makes one for his lift and I think you can also buy them separately.

One of the biggest reasons for coil sag is not just heavey loads, but, the coils binding from over compressing. General rule of thumb, is bumpstops of equal size to the lift achieved is a good starting point, especially if all you do is use coil spacers..

cmohr

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think?....I've been in contact with Stu and for the total price including shipping for only 4 springs.....$$$$..:( (yes, 4 digits..)

For that money I can get a complete OME shocks/struts/springs kit here in Spain...

One good thing though: since you are all switching to Stu's springs, I got my OME springs from Australia! :D :D :D ( long live AJOR )

it was the same for me too, whicxh is why it never happened :(

Latest posts

Members online