Stiffer Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an OME or other rear spring stiffer than the frankenlift OME948s for the rear? I seem to lose a lot of lift in the rear because of the weight of all the gear i have in the back. I added a rear iso and hockey puck to keep from tearing off the plastic. This worked but the rear end still sits lower than the front.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRDstu I believe custom made some that were heavier than the OME HDs, and you can get them or you could add the air lift air bags

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The air lift sounds interesting but i'm not sure if it work well for offroading and just day to day driving. Does it allow any compression at all?
Also, I wonder about just using the daystar 2" rear coil spacer. Would this add too much lift in the rear? I wonder if i would need to get this http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-Link_Extension-463.aspx.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the air lift and so does jeepjeepster, I like them you can run them anywhere from 5 psi to....something I forgot at the moment, and whenever I go off-road I just deflate them to 5 or so so I have more play room and I usually leave them around 12 psi to gain some height and take some of the weight off of the coils, they only cost about $80 shipped and take 30 min to install

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an OME or other rear spring stiffer than the frankenlift OME948s for the rear? I seem to lose a lot of lift in the rear because of the weight of all the gear i have in the back. I added a rear iso and hockey puck to keep from tearing off the plastic. This worked but the rear end still sits lower than the front.

This is easy
take some of the "stuff" out
I see guys running around with WAY more "stuff" then what they will ever need
you can have a complete mechanics tool set with out spare parts they are useless
you only need basic wrenches and sockets
some msc. nuts and bolts , I carry a couple metric and 1 standard set or kit
some msc. wire and connectors
duck tape
a plug kit
and tools to change a tire
I have spare U-joints for the drive shafts and brake lines along with some oil and trans fluid
I have worked out with others to carry things that I dont and we wheel together and share what we may need ,I have U-joints ,oil, and tools they carry spare front and rear shafts
my tools ,spare parts, and full 20# CO2 may weigh 100# at best
I carry this in the rear of a TJ and have full use of my back seat

I would pull out every thing you have and weigh it on the bathroom scale
any thing over 100# total is over kill
if 100# is hurting your springs then something else is wrong
we carried 4 people + cloths for a week in the KJ and it was not hurting to bad and all we have are OME med. springs
I know that we had close to 300# of people in the back seat

liv42dy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 if you have a Franki there should be reason for the rear to be sagging,948's with an extra ISO should keep you level take out what you dont need and carry the basics as mentioned,> Maybe TJKJ will chime in and post a picture of what he carries in the back of his KJ. you would be surprised.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 if you have a Franki there should be reason for the rear to be sagging,948's with an extra ISO should keep you level take out what you dont need and carry the basics as mentioned,> Maybe TJKJ will chime in and post a picture of what he carries in the back of his KJ. you would be surprised.
You mean this pic?
You must be registered for see images attach

Then add in the RL rear bumber,both carriers,and the Kilby gas tank skid adds about 700lbs of extra weight on my rear end(the KJ's not mine:p) and my non-softride SkyJacker coils are still holding it all up.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean this pic?
You must be registered for see images attach

Then add in the RL rear bumber,both carriers,and the Kilby gas tank skid adds about 700lbs of extra weight on my rear end(the KJ's not mine:p) and my non-softride SkyJacker coils are still holding it all up.

apparently you dont know what 700# looks like on the rear of any thing
put it like this there is not a truck on the market under a 1/2 ton that can handle much more than 500#'s
even the 1/4 ton trucks ,ford rangers and the like, need helper springs to carry large 4 wheelers and most of those dont brake 500#
I would bet it is closer to 300 or 400# you have even the tire and bumper set up is much less than people think
your tire and rim is around 90# all the tools and "stuff" in the pic at best 100-120#
that is about 200#
if the bumper and carrier is 500# then it would rip through the mounting points on the KJ
I doubt that there is any mounting point on a KJ thicker than .125" you my find some .25 points but even that would rip over time under that load

I will not get all technical on you just trust me you dont have 700# behind the rear seat
if you feel the need to argue it I can put a couple 100#'s in the rear of my KJ with OME Med. springs and take a picture
I would bet 800-1000 will put it on the bump stops

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
apparently you dont know what 700# looks like on the rear of any thing
put it like this there is not a truck on the market under a 1/2 ton that can handle much more than 500#'s
even the 1/4 ton trucks ,ford rangers and the like, need helper springs to carry large 4 wheelers and most of those dont brake 500#
I would bet it is closer to 300# you have even the tire and bumper set up is much less than people think
I sure do know what 700lbs looks like.

RL rear bumber-110lbs
Tire carrier-45lbs
Hi-lift/Jerry can carrier-40lbs
Hi-Lift-38lbs
Kilby gas tank skid-70lbs
Cordless impact kit-30lbs
CO2 tank-35lbs
Extra fluids-20lbs
speaker box-100lbs
Toll Box with tools-125lbs
Spare tire-90lbs
Rags/straps/shackles-30lbs
Rear rack-20lbs

That adds up to 753lbs

liv42dy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe you ought to take a look at the rig with the door closed. take the fact ,1 rear bumper, tire carrier, that not shown ,with the tire hilift jack ,his gear in the back, a full fuel tank, and I think Im missing a few, and not for nothing but I do think he knows what 700lb's looks like and feels like, ill do the math and get back to you:)

liv42dy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TJ you beet me to it :) had to visit rocklizzard to ge t a better picture I had you coming in at about 750, good job:)

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RL rear bumber-110lbs
Tire carrier-45lbs
Hi-Lift-38lbs
CO2 tank-35lbs
Extra fluids-20lbs
speaker box-100lbs
Spare tire-90lbs
Rear rack-20lbs

That adds up to 753lbs

Face it. Your scale must be broken......now how do you add a rolling eyes smiley?! lol

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RL rear bumber-110lbs
Tire carrier-45lbs
Hi-Lift-38lbs
CO2 tank-35lbs
Extra fluids-20lbs
speaker box-100lbs
Spare tire-90lbs
Rear rack-20lbs

That adds up to 753lbs

I doubt it still
the math is probably right but the weights are off
the fact is simple
springs give when you apply weight ,I loose about 1.5" when I put me and my buddy on the rear bumper which is just under 400#
if you add it up what you are saying would not work
400# = 1.5" of loss
if you have 3" of lift with 265/75's like you claim then you need 2" of bump stop to properly some what clear the tire
so if you have 1.5" of loss from weight
and 2" of loss from bump stop spacer
that is 3.5" of loss in up travel basically negative lift
also 1.5" of loss looks crappy

bottom line 300# or 800# it does not matter
weight = bad as far as off road
I found this out quick
my rig performs much better after dropping just 50# out the back of it
I have 2 med size amo cans 1 for tools and 1 for parts and rags
I carry 2 straps and 1 full 5# CO2 ,decided the 20 was to much weight
1 6" base tube
a "ghetto fabed" tire carrier and bumper ,built to be light but still work good enough
I even run the OE alum wheels for weight , not worried about breaking a wheel I have 10 of the same wheel and they come a dime a dozen
but any way if you want to be the "cool kid" then you go right on and do that
I will be the quiet kid who makes all A's

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See Troy. You just can't win. No matter how much weight you put back there you are still wrong. ;-) LoL

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loose about 1.5" when I put me and my buddy on the rear bumper which is just under 400#
if you add it up what you are saying would not work
400# = 1.5" of loss
if you have 3" of lift with 265/75's like you claim then you need 2" of bump stop to properly some what clear the tire
so if you have 1.5" of loss from weight
and 2" of loss from bump stop spacer
that is 3.5" of loss in up travel basically negative lift
also 1.5" of loss looks crappy

on the rear bumper of what?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the rear bumper of what?

'03 KJ with OME med springs

note that we were putting a tote with camping gear up top so add 25# to it
it is all about leverage
the more weight you get further from the pivot point the more force it will apply to that point
or some technical crap like that

people can say what they want
fact is people dont really know what they have when it comes to weight
some over guess and some under guess depending on the situation
when it comes to Jeeps and off roading less is more
why do you think they make rock buggies with 4 bangers?
it sure as hell is not for looks
even better why do they pull out the 15 gallon gas tank and put in a propane bottle ,besides the fact that it will run at 90* or even up side down
or why dont they carry a spare or have no problems running at 5 psi or less
besides bead locks
I can tell you this if it were not club rules that every one must have a full size matching spare on the trail with them I would chain mine to a tree
some times it drags on steep down hills
I dont have a high lift because it weighs 30# ,as per their web page
I carry a few 2 X 12's and a bottle jack ,lighter and much safer
and I have only used it once or twice besides should I absolutely need a high lift I am quite sure some one will have one
I dont carry my cordless impact because it is bigger and heavier than my pneumatic one
dont carry any thing more than a 5# CO2 ,or 2 depending on how much I have used it, this is enough to air me up at least twice and need be run my impact

but hey what do I know besides less is more