steiger aftermarket window regulator repair kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my left rear window broke...more specifically it is isolated to the plastic lift plate that is mounted on the guide rail i found the aftermarket metal replacement lift plate online at steigers website...i know ive seen people on here talk about the steiger part but i just want to here some opinions of those who have repaired their windows using the steiger part.
thanks to anyone who shares some input

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue with the same window on my 04. Ordered the part from Steiger, can't remeber the price, and I installed it. Works just fine. I would not call the install easy just because you are dealing with some very small areas to work in. I think it took me about 3 hours. It was my first time doing one of these so if/when I have to do it again I might be faster at it.

DJ

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
its really easy to remove the entire assembly honestly..

3 bolts to loosen for the motor 2 for the top of the rail and one for the bottom
one electrical wire to pop off for the motor
and one clip for the "cable" near the door lock/latch. with a little patience the whole thing slides out..

oh and one spring clip that holds the window to the plastic slider.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its really just a matter of getting a hang of how the whole assembly squeezes out of the little hole. once you figure that out its much faster. I had my left rear out about three times on my 02. trying to do various fixes to the window. still waiting to care enough to get the steiger.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
thats where im at with it weston.. zip ties are doing a wonderful job of holding it up. and when i fix mine im gona probably have to replace everything but the motor. :(

Jomac

Reaction score
excellent product! i have replaced three window brackets with steiger's. the first repair was a learning experience making the other two a breeze. now i just wonder when the driver side front will give way. funny that's the only window i use and it hasn't broken yet.

bjs2063

Reaction score
I did this to a rear driverside last spring. Took about hour twenty start to finish. Impressed with the product, looks pretty sturdy. Pretty simple, and cost about 80 or 90 bucks. If any of the other 3 windows fail, I will be buying again.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, i got the part in the mail yesterday and will be fixing the window tomorrow after i get outta school, my question for those of you who have installed it: did you use the supplied machine screw to replace the rivet or did you use a new pop rivet?

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, i got the part in the mail yesterday and will be fixing the window tomorrow after i get outta school, my question for those of you who have installed it: did you use the supplied machine screw to replace the rivet or did you use a new pop rivet?

Just used the screw. It works just fine.

Jax2A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My left rear is broke right now and I'm looking at this kit as well. From their site I can't get a good three dimenisional picture of the new bracket... I'm wondering if there is any reason someone with decent fabrication skills can't make this bracket themselves. Can someone that has actually used it weigh in on that? If it wasn't so dang cold in Ohio right now I'd just pull it out and see for myself. But since it is so cold, I did the quick fix and just used a pair of small vice grips to clamp the window in place and keep it from sliding down. Thanks.

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My left rear is broke right now and I'm looking at this kit as well. From their site I can't get a good three dimenisional picture of the new bracket... I'm wondering if there is any reason someone with decent fabrication skills can't make this bracket themselves. Can someone that has actually used it weigh in on that? If it wasn't so dang cold in Ohio right now I'd just pull it out and see for myself. But since it is so cold, I did the quick fix and just used a pair of small vice grips to clamp the window in place and keep it from sliding down. Thanks.

The Steiger part is pretty well thought out. The part isn't as simple as some. You'd put a lot of thought and time into it to come up with something that works as well. Unless you're going to start making a bunch to sell my opinion is you'd be better off to just purchase the replacement and be done with it.

Jax2A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Steiger part is pretty well thought out. The part isn't as simple as some. You'd put a lot of thought and time into it to come up with something that works as well. Unless you're going to start making a bunch to sell my opinion is you'd be better off to just purchase the replacement and be done with it.

Bummer. Oh well I'm going to try to take out the regulator this weekend and block the window up somehow. Once I get the regulator out I'll determine whether or not I'll have to pop for the pro kit or if I can fab it up myself. Thanks for the reply.

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you installed these kits proactively? I'm considering it because I *really* don't want to be parked out at a trailhead overnight, or someplace in the rainy season, or whatever, and have a window fail on me... worst case would be I'm off backpacking somewhere and one falls while I'm away, leaving the Jeep open for a couple days or more... I really like the Liberty but this issue really haunts me... yet at the same time it's some real $$$ and probably a weekend to figure it all out (I'm not so good with working with things in those enclosed spaces) :)

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yet at the same time it's some real $$$ and probably a weekend to figure it all out (I'm not so good with working with things in those enclosed spaces) :)
I fixed my left rear regulator with the Steiger part in about 2 hours despite having never done it before. It would probably take me about an hour or less now.

If you're that worried, then just tape up your windows as a precautionary measure while you're out hiking. I actually keep a roll of duct tape in the Jeep just in case another regulator goes.

Jax2A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I pulled my regulator out yesterday and I can definitely see why it broke. I'm surprised that thin bit of plastic the cable threads into lasted this long. My plastic bracket was broke in other places too.

I'm sure as soon as I post this someone will point me to a thread saying I shouldn't have... but I bought the $45 + $10 shipping bracket off ebay. Couldn't find any reviews on it other than the short buyer reviews on the sellers ebay profile. All seemed good so I thought I'd chance it to save $50. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it.

I do think I could make one of these brackets on my little mill but it would take me a long time to do it due to the precision required. I might use the new bracket as a model and start making one for the right rear (I know I'll have to reverse it from the left side) so I'll have it when it breaks. If I ever find a Liberty at the pick-n-pull, I'll pull the front brackets so I can start making replacements for them too.

LibertyGuy

Reaction score
I haven't had any window regulator issues as of yet with my 06

*knocks on wood*

My 06 was actually built in October of 2005 so maybe that's why?

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 was actually built in October of 2005 so maybe that's why?
I don't think that makes much difference, given that the problem affects all years of KJ to some extent. The main variable is how many regulators break on any given Jeep; I have a 2005 KJ and after five years with no window problems I had the same regulator (left rear) break twice in six months. Other people have had more regulators break more often after owning the car from new for a shorter time. It's all pretty random.

One thing's for sure, Jeep didn't learn from the 97-01 Cherokee, which suffered the same problem for the same reason.

Jax2A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my $45 window bracket from ebay and have it installed in my regulator, but haven't got the assembly back in my Jeep yet. I did plug it in and gave it a test run... the bracket seems to go up and down smoothly.

Attached are some pics compared to the broke piece. It is all steel except for the nylon guides. The installation was straight forward. The tricky part was threading on the cable without messing up the spiral on the bracket.

Hopefully will have everything back together and a working window this weekend.

I do think I can make this bracket now. If no more break this winter I will start making pre-emptive replacements this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Members online