Steering vibrates/shakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sound like inspection time from the front wheel bearing inwards & upwards and all front end.
When was the last time u had an alignment done?
Any play in ball joint, steering rack& bushing is a concern as well.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually have never had an alignment, I purchased her in september 2009 with 29,500 miles on her, since then i have only added another 32000. I don't drive her much as i drive a cab for a living.

Yes its only when coasting and driving, I just replaced the front pads and rotors last week, so there is no vibrating when braking. Tires are only 17 months old, with very little wear (as i dont drive much)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd start with an alignment, that would also reveal any loose/worn parts.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
mis-alignment rarely causes shake ... worn steering components and tire balance are your first culprits.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did it just start all of a sudden or did it start a while back and now getting worse?
Did it do it before you did the brakes?
Have you tried rotating the tires ?

You are a cab driver in Pittsburgh? Man that has to be interesting for sure

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it just start all of a sudden or did it start a while back and now getting worse?
Did it do it before you did the brakes?
Have you tried rotating the tires ?

You are a cab driver in Pittsburgh? Man that has to be interesting for sure

Before i change the pads/rotors i had vibrating which i knew was contributed to the rotors, as it was when i was braking, i never payed any attention to anything else because i knew the rotors needed to be cut/replaced. turned out they were so bad that i needed to replace and not cut.

BTW on a side note, I asked a mechanic at yellow cab to look at my rotors and why they were as bad as they were (ridges, valleys, grooves etc,) he said from rust/ not driving it enough. Now i dont drive much as i stated earlier, but she gets driven pretty much every day albeit only about 20 miles round trip, does this sound like a correct diagnosis for the reason my rotors were so bad.

Haven't rotated the tires yet, if we get a cooler day in the near future i will try that. Its just been to damn hot lately, i still need to flush my coolant, ps fluid, and brake fluid, but way to hot to be working outside(which translates to ..im a baby when it comes to heat and i dont do crap when its above 75 lol)

And yea Tom it can be an adventure (bothe good and bad) driving a cab here, especially with all the damn people from OHIO driving around lmao!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I'm the same way ... It's hard to hold tools when your soaked with sweat! :happy175:

75??! I do work in 85+ come on you sissies!!! :happy175:

Sounds like the only tool you need is a purse...which should have a grippy handle on it for ya. ;)

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
75??! I do work in 85+ come on you sissies!!! :happy175:

Sounds like the only tool you need is a purse...which should have a grippy handle on it for ya. ;)

I'm a fat guy, in case you havent noticed, Fat guys and Heat/humidity DO NOT AGREE with each other to much haha