Steering noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all......anybody else's Jeep do this?? Turning the wheel at low speed or stopped, the steering makes some strange noises. Sounds and feels like a pop or clunk.....i think it has done this from day one, but seems a bit more prominent lately. Is it a 'jeep thing' or is the rack or something starting to go???

Thanks....ken
ps....06 liberty

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks TBJ......but not a drip anywhere and resevoir is right where it should be. It 'feels' like a click or pop in the wheel......i wondered about the universals in the linkage maybe??? It makes a few turns after the firewall

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks....i am fairly mechanical, i am pretty sure it is in the steering, but, if it was the CV's, would it do it while stopped and turning the wheel????

ken

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 2002 2.5 CRD (European spec) and the steering got progressively heavy. Turned out to be the ball bearing at the top of the steering column. I went to the various Jeep dealers here in SA to get a new bearing but was informed that the bearing was not replaceable and the whole steering column had to be replaced at a cost of about $2,200.00:mad: When I had stopped laughing, I removed the steering column assembly myself, dis-assembled it to get the bearing out...it is 7mm thick, 37mm outside diameter, 25mm inside diameter deep grooved bearing. I bought an equivalent one from SKF or *** I think for about $4.00 I think.
I hope this is not your problem..lots of work, first check all the steering hydrolics and have a look at where the steering shaft connects inside the engine bay to the steering rack itself...check that the connection is tight and maybe have a good listen in that area while some turns the steering lock to lock with the engine not running.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all......anybody else's Jeep do this?? Turning the wheel at low speed or stopped, the steering makes some strange noises. Sounds and feels like a pop or clunk.....i think it has done this from day one, but seems a bit more prominent lately. Is it a 'jeep thing' or is the rack or something starting to go???

Thanks....ken
ps....06 liberty
Bad Rack&pinion.Not hard to replace yourself,takes about 3-4 hours but you will need a alignment afterwards.