Starter noise... kinda weird!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2003 KJ is making a weird noise when I first start it. It usually only does it the first time I start it in the morning, but lately it has been doing it a little more. It has been VERY cold here lately. I can only describe the noise as a very brief grinding sound. I turn the key, the starter fires her up no problem.... and it makes a quick .5 second to 1.5 second noise. The sound is worse the colder it is it would seem. Anyone have any idea as to what this could be?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
BLS WA Chapter SDMF said:
Mine will do it when it's in the 40's, but not nearly as bad as when it's in the 30's/20's.
Just wait until single digits come around. You think your Liberty makes weird noises now... lol3.gif

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Mine will do it when it's in the 40's, but not nearly as bad as when it's in the 30's/20's.
Just wait until single digits come around. You think your Liberty makes weird noises now... lol3.gif

... oh lord #-o

2003KJ

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:

... oh lord #-o

Yeah ask anybody who lives in an area where it gets to below zero.

Put it this way, your starter will make a noise you never wanna hear again in your life (its worse than starting an already started engine)

Not to mention when you get THAT cold, half the time the engine doesn't warm up before you get to your destination that is relatively far away...it's just that damn cold outside...lol.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The libby does seem to heat up alot faster than most cars Ive been in. Not to sure if that has to do with the cast iron block or what? but it does it in a hurry..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I hear it also when its cold out(below 30 at least)..

mine does it too, and I was very scared of that, once it even skipped on me and did not start (did not hold at start enough) I know the noise, and after a while It grew on me, i haven't heard it since last winter. Winter is back, will probably hear it. Grrchhh vvvrrnrnnnnnnnnnn

The libby does seem to heat up alot faster than most cars Ive been in

Engine block heater

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Startup Noise

It's not the starter motor, it's the power steering pump that makes the cold start noise. The colder it gets the louder it will get. It is normal, and caused by the fluid Chrysler uses in the pump body.

RAYMAN1007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mien has been doing that just within the past couple days. its kinda like a "slip" when i turn the key and it JUST starts to turn over. i wonder if thats what u guys are talkin about. but its not really loud. but it didnt do it last week when it was like 25* outside. this week is sunny and 40

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last January here in WI it got down below zero with wind chills around 40 below, i didn't have any problems with the jeep starting, kinda had a little noise when it was cold also, but really the only problem that occurred for me was the windshield washer fluid froze.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Startup Noise

valvestem said:
It's not the starter motor, it's the power steering pump that makes the cold start noise. The colder it gets the louder it will get. It is normal, and caused by the fluid Chrysler uses in the pump body.

That's sorta what I thought it was. My guess was on the belt slipping a bit. My guess was this... The colder it gets, the more metal shrinks. The pulleys are probably slightly smaller (almost un-measurable) and now the belt can slip ever so slightly.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

Started hearing this same sound 3 day's ago...
I figured I'd do a search first to see if there were other people who had experienced this sound emanating from the starter. (I actually think it's a sticky Bendix due to the cold contracting the flat coil spring or something.)So, I thought I would bring this topic back from the past to see how many have heard this sound this winter.
Sounds like it's a Jeep KJ thing!

Cheers
Ry'

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last couple mornings, it's been -10 to -12F here. The libby is parked outside, though the block heater was plugged in for a couple hours prior to starting. She didn't make any strange noises on startup.

I have also noticed that she heats up faster than other vehicles. Must be the design of the cooling system and/or thermostat.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

Started hearing this same sound 3 day's ago...
I figured I'd do a search first to see if there were other people who had experienced this sound emanating from the starter. (I actually think it's a sticky Bendix due to the cold contracting the flat coil spring or something.)So, I thought I would bring this topic back from the past to see how many have heard this sound this winter.
Sounds like it's a Jeep KJ thing!

Cheers
Ry'

It's funny but since I first posted this, even though the temperature isn't that cold I plugged in the block heater when we get home in the early evening and then when we start 'er up the next day, there is no more noise from the starter motor. Not to mention the KJ warms up in no time.

jggv98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same noise from the starter motor, quick .5 second to 1.5 second, do the starter need a preventive maintenance or is normal? the temperature here is 80-90 F and the noise still there

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.