Stall after hard brake!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, the other day a stoplight surprised me (family reunion + rain + late for church). The stopping bar on the road was way far before the light due to some railroad tracks, so I had to stand on my brake pedal to keep from "technically" running the light. My KK stopped great, but right after stopping, she lurched forward and stalled. I didn't even touch the gas yet. I put her back in park and she started right back up--luckly.

Anyone know why this would happen? I had a half-tank of gas at the time and we were on a slight incline if that matters.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could have been a freak stall associated with ABS, larger than stock tire size?, and a few other factors

but quite often with the liberty a stall or knockoff at a stop light or whatever points towards a weak battery. Don't worry about it unless you notice it start happening more frequently - not trying to understress your concern but one-off's occur - hope that helps?

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could have been a freak stall associated with ABS, larger than stock tire size?, and a few other factors

but quite often with the liberty a stall or knockoff at a stop light or whatever points towards a weak battery. Don't worry about it unless you notice it start happening more frequently - not trying to understress your concern but one-off's occur - hope that helps?

Bone stock, so that's not it.

I don't think the battery is the problem, I've dealt with that type of stalling before...I guess we chalk it up to random chance and see if it ever happens again...

FJ? Where's your loyalty? :p

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be to worried about it. Could be that the transmission didn't shift down quick enough due to the quick decel. Kind of like if you stopped with a manual without ever using the clutch

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So....

It happened again! Well, Kind of...

Another hard brake, and when she stopped, the engine revved on its own up to 2500 RPM, then back down. When I tried to start driving again, it took off really slow and was at 3000 RPM when I was trying to go 45 MPH. That's when I realized that it was stuck in 2nd gear! Nothing I did would knock it out of that gear--no braking, or punching the gas or anything. I finally pulled over and shut it off. The restart fixed it, but now I'm really worried about my transmission. Is it about to go out on me? Is a relay about to fry? Or is this some fancy "limp mode" or something stupid?

Thanks!

isomswim

Reaction score
Due to the extreme circumstances it might be a limp mode. I know of other vehicle recently that have been finding this out. Wish Jeep would just tell people of crazy stuff to suspect. Dont mess with FJ, been there done that, not worth the extra dough.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure you didn't accidentally press the gas WITH the brake when you were stopping? I know it sounds crazy, but I locked up all 4 wheels in the city one time and the engine revved like crazy while I was stopping. Later I realized the edge of my size 13 boot nicked the gas pedal as well as the brake on its way through the firewall. Harmless, since I had the clutch on the floor as well, but startling nonetheless.

This probably DIDN'T happen to you, since the pedals are farther apart with an auto. Either way, I hope your transmission isn't damaged!

Last edited:

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I hit the gas, but it is a possibility...I wear size 14s....

The transmission doesn't seem to be damaged, as it pulled like a boss up and down some hills on my drive from TN to MO. I was pulling a trailer right around 4000 lbs too, I'll get the actual weight when I weigh my Jeep empty this week.

It's really about piece of mind. If anything's going to crap out on me, I want it to be while it's under warranty still.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is related but I've noticed that if a pothole takes me by surprise while going over 30 (that's almost top speed in these parts lol) Mr. Darcy seems to idle down for a second or two and then go back to normal. I don't pay much attention to the RPMs while I'm driving but this happened yesterday and I looked up just in time to see that it was just above 1... I'm not worried about it at all, just thought I'd share in case it sheds some information into the possibility of a limp mode. But if that's the case, shouldn't he warn me BEFORE I hit the pothole?!?

Latest posts

Members online