speedometer not working ( 5 speed )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what sensor to replace to get my speedometer to function on a manual trans. I see a sensor on the rear diff.and assume that is what I need since my jeep does not have ABS. - rockauto shows all auto trans sensors. I found part# 56041393aa but not sure . Thanks..

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind -The search feature actually works well here -found what I needed from a few older posts and yes the speed sensor is located on the rear diff. for The older KJ'S .

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the wiring first, most times the wires are broke up near the body
Have replaced 6-7 wiring , only one sensor

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes check the wiring first...the wires from the Sensor can rub on the handbrake cables and the bodywork.

I had a loose Diff Sensor connector on my 2002 Export CRD Manual when fairly new....speedo stopped working and Cell Light came ON.

I re-plugged the connector but the Cell Light stayed on for about a week before going out.;)

There was a TSB for 2005 KJs where the wrong oil was put in the diffs at the Factory which chewed up the Sensor. Fix was to drain and clean out the rear diff, fill with correct oil and replace the Sensor!:confused:

Last edited:

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chased my dead speedo issue for weeks. Was getting 12V to the sensor and the sensor was putting out a pulse (probably worth checking before you replace it). Disconnected most of the connectors between the sensor and speedo to check continuity and all was good. When I put it all back together was delighted to find my speedo worked and is still going strong. I'm guessing one of the connectors wasn't contacting properly on that pin. At something like 0.5 to 1.2 volts for the sensor square wave there isn't much oomph there to get through a less than perfect connection.

Last edited:

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Tom said -( broken wire ) was a real bear to find -ended up a very corroded wire under the drivers carpet in the wiring tray, lucky that mopar twisted the two wires together coming from the speed sensor making it somewhat easier to trace. Also seems I have water intrusion being the underfloor was very wet.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Tom said -( broken wire ) was a real bear to find -ended up a very corroded wire under the drivers carpet in the wiring tray, lucky that mopar twisted the two wires together coming from the speed sensor making it somewhat easier to trace. Also seems I have water intrusion being the underfloor was very wet.[/QUOTE

Glad you found it, they can be a bear at times to chase down

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water intrusion can be caused by the air conditioning....the drain pipe for the melting ice is in that area and can leak into the cabin if kinked or broken.

In our hot summers here in SA I get a massive pool of water on the ground next to the Left Front wheel after even a short drive.;)