Solid rear diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CJ, anyone making that accusation on a face to face level, I'd likely short pour a boot up his ****.

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, you thought I was reefering to you specifically! Thanks for the offer, but I don't take boots up the ****, even if I could park an aircraft carrier up there. lol

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gear oil should i ise for year round protection for outdoor temps ranging from -10 to 100 degrees. Chicago weather is pretty unpredictible could get colder could get hotter.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gear oil should i ise for year round protection for outdoor temps ranging from -10 to 100 degrees. Chicago weather is pretty unpredictible could get colder could get hotter.

I use 85W/140 dino oil in mine cuz I tow and like to take it off road. Last winter on some of the coldest mornings it took a while for the dino to loosen up - was kinda like molasses. It was -28F one morning, -23F on another when I was on business and stayed at a hotel - parked the KJ outside. I actually laughed out loud when I started to back out of my parking space - the diffs felt like trying to stir a jar of peanut butter.

Quarter mile down the road and it was fine :party52:

Bob

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 85W/140 dino oil in mine...
I googled that because of so many references to it here on the forum, but I couldn't find much about it except other mentions of "dino oil" on other forums. Is that a brand? Can you clue me in? If it's not a brand, but a type, why that as opposed to synthetic? And do you have an actual brand recommendation?

Sorry, this is one of those times I haven't had any luck searching so as not to make myself look too dumb. FAIL! ;)

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I googled that because of so many references to it here on the forum, but I couldn't find much about it except other mentions of "dino oil" on other forums. Is that a brand? Can you clue me in? If it's not a brand, but a type, why that as opposed to synthetic? And do you have an actual brand recommendation?

Sorry, this is one of those times I haven't had any luck searching so as not to make myself look too dumb. FAIL! ;)

You got it right dino oil is oil made from dinosaurs. As opposed to a synthetic. It is not a brand or anything. They made a point of saying dino because you shouldnt use synthetic in your differential. I was also confused on this until i seen it used in context in a discussion about synthetics.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For a brand, pretty much anything works. Some use the store brands, I used Valvoline or Castrol, I don't even remember. Dino is good and whatever weight Bob said to use, that's what I have in mine

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reference dates further back than Sinclair. Goes back to the stone age. lol...

You must be registered for see images attach

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never seen that stuff before must be before my time

Yeah I guess it was. Sinclair was an oil company that was bought out by ARCO in 1969 (now sold to BP). I remember when the gas stations finally changed over, as we had a kid in school with the last name of Sinclair, we started calling him Arco instead. lol
The one I posted is Fred Flintstones pet dinosaur "Dino"

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im young but i still know fred flintstone ha ha. Going to be getting my diff cover this weekend or monday do the swap next weekend.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil companies aren't going to be satisfied until all the dinosaurs are extinct!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I run the "dino" 85w-140 as well in Lucas Flavor!
53526[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

At 20 k miles it was still relatively clean and it does well for rear gears.
I have a trac-lok which does require adding a 4 oz bottle of Mopar limited slip additive.
Has anyone ever tried mixing a dino & GL5 synthetic gear oil for the -20+ colder temps?

Attachments

• LucasGearLube.jpg
    LucasGearLube.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea cactus thats the one purely to get better ground clearence.:happy175: