Solid rear diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Solid rear diff cover 8.25 and installed almost 4liters of diff fluid. Manual said it takes two litres. How much gear fluid should be in there?
I poured the old fluid into a window washer bottle and there was a bit over two 2 litres in the bottle and the fluid was up to the filling hole before I removed the cover.

Also have an other question. I have whining noise when the ****** slips into overdrive. Ideas? Or is this a normal thing. Thanks in advance.

Alan

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im no ****** guy....

But for the rear diff i fill mine up thru the fill hole until i cant fit anymore.

Quick google search 2.07 liters. Mine took just a bit more than two quarts last time i changed it

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9andAftermarket diff covers have a higher fill hole then stock covers.The reason is most likely your lifted and that tilts the diff so the stock cover will not allow you to put the correct amount of gear oil in but that higher fill hole on a stock or small lift(2"-3") will cause a overfill condition.

Always put in the specified amount,not to the fill hole unless 100% stock using stock cover).Any excesses will either blow out the breather or blow the axle seals,can do both.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to look up the specs of your cover. Some aftermarket covers are a larger capacity, and adding only the "factory" amount of oil will then cause the rearend to be under filled.
You can't necessarily follow factory fill specs with a non-factory cover.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So hows the cover any problems at all or with too much gear oil?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None at all. I did get the level corrected though by a jeep shop when I had my trutrac installed.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also fitted a So Solid rear diff cover. My experience of it is very good and I like it but the garage that fitted it over filled the diff with oil and it started coming out from the rear air breather. I had told them to put the correct amount of oil as it's in the standard diff cover ( that including the LSD additive) but hey didn't. Had to go back and have it taken all out and replace with the correct amount of oil. Wasn't impressed as they had just rebuilt the rear diff.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you put the same amount as stock good to know how long was it to be shipped and received i ordered mine last night. Excited to get it. Thanks for the input guys.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theirs doesn't say if it's a larger capacity cover, some are due to the shape and size. It would behoove you to measure the capacity of the old cover against the new. You can do that by laying them flat, and with a measuring cup, see how many ounces of water each one holds. If the new cover is larger, putting in the factory amount of oil will leave the rearend under-filled.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If new cover is larger, make sure to split the difference in capacity. The stock cover has the plug a little above center. So if for instance the new cover holds 10 oz. more than the old, put in 6 oz. or so over and above the factory amount. The cover you're getting says the fill plug is higher than on the factory cover so you can hold more capacity. But that means you're over-filling it. That would be like adding extra oil to the engine for it to hold more as opposed to installing a deeper oil pan. Oh wait, you tried that one already, didn't you! :happy175:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did indeed put 5 quarts extra "oil"(atf) in my engine oil. Good times. Thanks guys i will post the results of my findings.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filling any of them to the bottom of the plug at room temperature is overfilling. One should leave at least 1/2 inch below fill hole to account for expansion when hot. Surest way to cause seal leakage. If you can't accept this please explain why ****** fluid is always checked at operating temperature.

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filling any of them to the bottom of the plug at room temperature is overfilling. One should leave at least 1/2 inch below fill hole to account for expansion when hot. Surest way to cause seal leakage. If you can't accept this please explain why ****** fluid is always checked at operating temperature.

Bob

At below the hole level, you're under-filling it.
After servicing the internals and re-installing the cover (obviously cold), per the factory service manual, section 3, page 106, step 10: "Fill differential with gear lubricant to bottom of the fill plug hole".
This technique is nothing new, nor is it unique to only Chrysler products.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And a minor underfill is going to damage what?

Bob

But why underfill? Besides, it takes longer to fill some, stop and check with a probe, fill some more, check again, repeat. As opposed to fill er up till it starts to run back out. Now, I can see where it would be beneficial for a shop owner to purposely short pour a customer while still charging the full amount of recommended oil (per "the book"), a little oil saved on each job adds up over the years which would put free money in their pocket. But we who work on our own vehicles have no reason to short the fill.