So what are my options in 15" steel rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have and I've heard of guys running different back spacing front to rear. If your up 3.5-4" you've probably pulled you front wheels an inch(plus or minus) closer together than they were at the stock height. Unless you replaced your LCA with longer ones that is.

People who run the mud pits run different width wheels, different tire sizes even gears but of course they're spinning all the way through and the differences are calculated in.
So where did you come up with the " pulls the wheels in " that much at, just curious

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basic geometry. As you increase the angle of the lower control arm to gain lift you decrease the distance of the hub in relation to the fixed pivot point measured from a vertical line up from the hub.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Basic geometry. As you increase the angle of the lower control arm to gain lift you decrease the distance of the hub in relation to the fixed pivot point measured from a vertical line up from the hub.

Fully understand that but only a fraction f how you are figuring it

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

But as you increase the angle you slide the LCA mounting points out more via alignment slots. You might lose a mm or two. Not a full inch.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only have so much adjustment on the LCA's and you're adjusting it in and not out as you lift the vehicle. That's why as you go higher you must replace the UCA's with longer ones so you can achieve proper camber.

This makes the geometry even more obvious. Because the lengths of the UCA and the LCA are not the same the amount the top and bottom of the hub are pulled in differ as you lift the vehicle. The shorter UCA pulls in at a much quicker rate as you lift the vehicle.

I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse. It's real simple. As you lift a vehicle with an independent suspension, barring any component changes, the hubs/wheels move closer together.

Here's another concept you probably won't like to hear as well(basic physics of force vectors). As you lift an independent suspension, similar to the Liberty's, and increase the angle of the LCA you apply more force and stress on the LCA bushings and ball joints and less force on your shock/spring assembly.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember ever stating any amount that the hubs/wheels move in. That would be a factor of how high you go. Actually, a factor of how much you increase the angle of the LCA.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only have so much adjustment on the LCA's and you're adjusting it in and not out as you lift the vehicle. That's why as you go higher you must replace the UCA's with longer ones so you can achieve proper camber.

This makes the geometry even more obvious. Because the lengths of the UCA and the LCA are not the same the amount the top and bottom of the hub are pulled in differ as you lift the vehicle. The shorter UCA pulls in at a much quicker rate as you lift the vehicle.

I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse. It's real simple. As you lift a vehicle with an independent suspension, barring any component changes, the hubs/wheels move closer together.

Here's another concept you probably won't like to hear as well(basic physics of force vectors). As you lift an independent suspension, similar to the Liberty's, and increase the angle of the LCA you apply more force and stress on the LCA bushings and ball joints and less force on your shock/spring assembly.

I mean I'm just telling you from experience. As I was under the Jeep while being aligned. You slide the LCA bolts OUT more. Not in. If you want to use your money on strangely offset wheels...then that's totally fine! I'm just telling you what I know...not what I think. I can take a picture of my current LCA bolt position if you don't believe me. As you lift an IFS vehicle, the LCAs turn downward and pull the bottom of the wheel in. As you align it, you push it back out.

And there aren't many concepts that I "[don't] like to hear." Most people know that more force and stress is placed on the LCA as you lift an IFS vehicle. That's fairly obvious when you INSTALL the lift.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember ever stating any amount that the hubs/wheels move in. That would be a factor of how high you go. Actually, a factor of how much you increase the angle of the LCA.

If your up 3.5-4" you've probably pulled you front wheels an inch(plus or minus) closer together than they were at the stock height.

Really? :happy175:

This is the only reason I commented. Figured I would let you know that after lifting 4", my wheels are not 1" closer (.5" on each side). Millimeters if that.

When this snow clears I can take some side to side measurements to compare front and rear stance widths to help you figure out what backspacing you would like to go with if you want.

Last edited:

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to purchase 4 of the 4" BS Silver D-Windows I wanted, so all 4 wheels will have the same backspacing.