so is there any decent way to paint the front bumper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mapco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the textured bumper on the Sport. I tried painting it but it turned to hell.

You must be registered for see images

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you clean the bumper real good before you sprayed it? also make sure the paint is intended for use on plastic. Also if you are having a problem with the paint not sticking well get a can of paint adhesion promoter.

mapco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I cleaned the bumper extremely well before I painted it. The can of spray paint said it was intended for metal, wood, plastic, etc. Where can I find paint adhesion promoter?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an auto body shop in the family, so from experience, I would suggest that you check with several local quality shops. I bet you can get it painted for about $300 (well, here in the states anyway), and it will look just a factory job. I'm sure a shop can use a special paint to give it the texture you want.

Good luck!

DannyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i would defently take it to a shop and have it done.. it wont cost you that much i dont even think 300

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I painted my front and rear bumpers flares and side trim with krylon fusion for plastic. A year later, the flares have held up fairly well, but the front bumper looks like its been hit with buckshot; every rock hits the bumper takes off a chip of paint. For the amount of time it takes to do things properly year after year (remove the bumpers, tape off around the flares, etc), it seems to make more sense to take take it to a body shop once.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked at a bodyshop and those plastic textured bumpers are a real pain to paint.They are nearly impossible to properly prep for paint and always made the customer sign a waiver stating that the paint will peel and we are not responseble.Just buy a new paintable(smooth) bumber intended for a limited and get it done with.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gris Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:40 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what about bedliner?
As long as you have the smooth painted flares/bumbers. Tha textured gray flares/bumbers where never intended to be painted.

[email protected]

Reaction score
thats an awfully nice jeep, i bet you've had it detailed before or did it yourself at one time, only problem is they use armor all or a similar product on the plastic which contains silicone great for covering those little tree limb scratches not good for paint and it won't stick. you need some kind of solvent to get the silicone spray/wipe whatever off and out of your bumper. autobody shops keep away from those sprays like the plague, one idiot with a can of wd-40 or spray armor all will ruin alot of cars. If you've already tried a good solvent then I apologize and will go back to my hole.