Self threading bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could someone please explain the process of installing self threading bolts. I will be installing my Carolina rock shop rock rails tomorrow and I will be using 3/8-16x1" self threading bolts but unsure of how they work. What is the appropriate size hole to drill before threading the bolts on. Also are these the best idea to attach rails with? Would it be better to drill and tap the hole and then use a course thread bolt? Lastly if using the self threading bolts is loctite recommended or locking washers?

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a gauge somewhere. But my pole barn is a disaster area. I'm redoing and making more benches.
But if you have a tap set or go it to a hardware look at the size tap and it should say drill size.
Check on line --- I just did and it said 5/16. But I'd check more than one source.
Call a place like Fastnal.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just find a drill bit that lets the very beginning of the self tapper start in
I can never remember which size so always ask at the hardware store when I buy them
They will hold fine, using the same thing on the pinch weld or using bolts?
I know some use self tappers there as well but I like to bolt them on

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks guys! You all are always so helpful! I'll post some pics of when I install them tomorrow.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol didn't mean it like that! I meant "guys" as in this whole group, didn't know it must be gender specific, thanks fellow female forum member Cherrie
:signs8:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you didn't . I use guys for both too. I was just playing.:)

Members online