security system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twepper

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could help me. I bought a used 2002 jeep liberty sport. I have power locks and keyless entry(remote). My insurance company says my vin shows I have a security system, but no alarm goes off when I rock it(yes I hit the button on the remote). Do I have the security system?

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open up the windows and lock it with the remote. Now, reach in and pull the little door lock thingy up and open the door. The alarm should go off.

Also, do you have a red flashing light on your instrument panel when you engage the locks?

twepper

Reaction score
I tried putting the window down. locking it with the remote and reaching in to unlock it like you said and no alarm went off. Also I have no blinking red light went I lock it with the remote. Is there a chance it is disabled? Why would the insurance company say it has one?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Insurance company probably just doesnt know any better. Its possible it lowered your rates so dont complain to them.

If you do not have a red light that blinks on the instrument cluster then you probably dont have it.

When you have the window down, after you lock it, wait at least 1 min before opening the door.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried putting the window down. locking it with the remote and reaching in to unlock it like you said and no alarm went off. Also I have no blinking red light went I lock it with the remote. Is there a chance it is disabled? Why would the insurance company say it has one?

SHHHHHHHH. You get a discount on full coverage for having an alarm so let them be right this time. They are already raking your over the coals for having a $x$.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Un-fix it. the $x$ was part of the joke. It is a bit odd that the $ and the 4 are on the same key.

Oh, and you only get a 4x4 discount in Colorado.
Not for Colorado,my insurance agent is in South Dakota but is licensed in CO also,was one of my buddies I graduated with.Then again I've always have had that discount when ever I was insuring a 4x4 vehicle.The best was "farm use only" insurance:D.

twepper

Reaction score
Guys, don't really care for the insurance aspect. I'm more concerned about if I do have an alarm system or not. Or is it just unhooked or something

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, don't really care for the insurance aspect. I'm more concerned about if I do have an alarm system or not. Or is it just unhooked or something

twepper....do what Jeepster said. He answered your question. If no flashing light on dash and no alarm going off when you open the door like he said, then you don't have an alarm. That is possible I guess with the earlier models.

To find out for sure if you are past that point of testing it and it doesn't go off, just get a build sheet, it's fast and free, and that will tell you everything that was installed on your jeep when it left the factory.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
insurance....i dont have it, its a high performance vehicle they will not accept.

We have to here to even get plates on the vehicle, and if the vehicle is financed, it's got to have full coverage. Knew a guy back in 2004 that had a SS Camaro he financed through GMAC. Stored it for the winter and pulled the insurance. A month later he got a stern letter from GMAC demanding he put coverage back on.

Anyway, I think the insurance company is looking at the Sentry or whatever system the '02's had. Didn't they have some sort of theft deterrent system. And, if they didn't, I'd assume they are thinking of a later model with Sentry. So, not an actual alarm system, but an anti-theft security system.

Members online

No members online now.