Security issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cameraflage

Reaction score
East of Cleveland, Ohio, along the Amish Frontier
Greetings all. Here's my question for the group. What sort of security measures do you recommend to keep your Liberty from being stolen? (Other than, of course, hiding in the back seat with a 12-gauge.)

My wife works in a light-industrial area on the east side of Cleveland and has noted that 3 Liberties were broken into in one day (one stolen) and another broken into a week later. The one that was stolen did not have the chip-fitted ignition key, and none had any security systems. And no, I don't let her drive our Liberty to work unless I have to.

Is there that much demand for Liberties, or are they just inherently easy to steal?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chip and the security system is the best thing. Not much more you can do really.

Im not sure if you can use a slim-jim on the liberty or not.. that would be why they are so easy to break into. :-s

That little red dot that flashes on the dash can help. Even though people do not pay attention to cars with alarm systems going off, they still get nervous if the horn starts honking.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thinking......after changing my spark plugs.

What if you get a spare electrical connector (to the spark plug coil) with wires coming out of it, unplug the far rear one by the ****** dipstick, tape it hidden and plug the fake one in and have the wires dangle down so it looks okay?

Or do it with fake battery cables.

Not practical for your wife, but would work if you planned to park it for awhile out in the woods while camping.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the e-brake :) thieves are stupid.

j/k but just get the wheel lock + leave it in shift if you drive manual + turn wheel all the way until it clicks + sentry key and that's about all you can do, if they really need a libby, they will tow it, those bastards

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havoline said:
Get the Trunk Monkey! \:D/

Now how the hell would people from anywhere but the northwest know about him?! Is he really famous beyond our little area :) Touche on the Trunk Monkey, though. He has saved my bacon quite a few times. He can even deliver babies, you know.

kokali22

Reaction score
Havoline said:

=D> Trunk Monkey FTW!!!

Isn't there a device similar to, "The CLUB" but instead of the steering wheel, its for the gas pedal!? Now that sounds like my patent. O:)

You could always rig up a "KILL" switch.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suburban Auto in Oregon runs ads advertising that all their vehicle sales come with the trunk monkey who pops out when you need him and does all kinds of stuff. Beats off carjackers, delivers your wife's baby, changes your spare, etc ;)

http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com/

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T Monkey

It is world renowned as it is on the net... do a search

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll go nuts buying banannas to feed that thing....................

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Titan - Actually, there's a dealership in Lafayette (or is it Lebanon?) Indiana which uses the Trunk Monkey, too. (I have no idea who first came up with the concept, but it's funny as Hell.) \:D/

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
back to topic, there is another easy way of disabling your jeep.
throttle is exposed if you flip down the knee board under steering column. It is held by a tiny plastic stopper. It could be modified so that it can be disengaged to leave accelerator useless.. I think there is a seam on top of it which can be used to plug out and back in...

Too much usage could be risky, but if you are handy you could modify it to be handy. Just a thought!!!

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Havoline said:

Now how the hell would people from anywhere but the northwest know about him?! Is he really famous beyond our little area :) Touche on the Trunk Monkey, though. He has saved my bacon quite a few times. He can even deliver babies, you know.

I know the trunk monkey, and I'm from the northeast! Trunk Monkey is the man.

ups4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once heard on a TV news show about auto security that the most effective way to secure your vehicle would be to have an ignition kill system and use the Club...for visible deterrent.

My dealer offers The Silencer...a self arming ignition disabling system.
So far I haven't invested in the Club, but I'm thinking about it.

While most determined thieves could bypass the Club, it's not as likely they would bother if other choices are available.

Paul
________
justin bieber fan

Last edited:

Erzebet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a Ravelco Anti-theft system?

Check out the Ravelco system - I got a quote of $350.00 for installation in my '06.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ravelco is as good as it gets, but be advised the fob can get a bit clunky and annoying. One of the cheapest sure fire systems you can get for your car, though.

cameraflage

Reaction score
East of Cleveland, Ohio, along the Amish Frontier
Thanks for the suggestions, gang. The wife and I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the best way to keep somebody from snatching the Jeep from a crappy part of Cleveland (redundant, I know) is to not let her drive it down there in the first place, with the second best idea of polishing up the ol' resumé and getting a job somewhere closer to home .

And when we drive out to Grants Pass, Oregon next summer, I'll look for the Trunk Monkey.