Safe to jack front end from the skid plate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my ZJ up on jackstands many times, but never my KJ. That's all about to change :)

Just wanted to know recommendations for where to jack the front end. I've done some Googling and many people say they do it on the front control arms, but the FSM specifically says *not* to jack on a control arm. The front skid would seem like a pretty logical place to get both front wheels off the ground at the same time, and the FSM indicates that the front jacking points are the exact same place as where you should put the jackstands, which isn't helpful...

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a short 2X4 on the floor jack to spread the pressure around a little bit and then put the 2X4 in the "channel" on the skid plate and lift it off the ground. The channel is slightly off center but it doesn't seem to matter much. Plus that area is right at the cross member.

I wouldn't try to lift our rolling piggy putting the floor jack right in the center of the skid plate - might deform it quite a bit.

Bob

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I lift from the underside of the LCA/LBJ area, and then place stands to the rear of the engine skid, where it meets the crossmember... or rock rails, depending on what I'm working on.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Jack right under the skid plate no problems with it on mine or others and I've had a few jacked up that way
jack stands on the "frame" where the notches are

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup jack stands on the 'frame' where the notches are. That's how mine's been sitting for a few weeks now.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stack of 3 or 4 2x6's nailed together that are about 18"-24" long. I put it between my floor jack and the main engine crossmember. Spreads the weight out so the crossmember doesn't kink, and gives the jack some extra lift.:icon_mrgreen: