Runs rough at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert O

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty v6 it runs rough at idle. It has a p0300 code a p302 code a p0132 a p0156 code. I need help. I have replaced all spark plugs all coil packs crank position sensor all 02sensors cleaned the throttle body. I am stumped

Robert O

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
How many miles are on the 3.7 engine now? Did you have valve train noises before this all began?
Multiple random misfires are not fun or easy to diagnose. Could be valve related.
Idle, Try to clean the IAC and Throttle Body port. See post #10 https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/idle-air-control-no-screws.44826/
116,000 miles on it. No valve train noise. If cleaned the ais and throttle body. Next is the injectors. But I’m also getting a p0132 for high voltage to bank 1 02 1.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Repeat of above... what brand/type of sensors and plugs were used? My KJ only ran well on either Champion or NGK copper plugs, and obviously BEST on the NGK's.

Sensors... would only ever put OE brand in there. The electrical and computer systems on these vehicles are very sensitive to that, and variances in manufacturing quality and standards matter here. On other vehicles, hell, they don't care much and you can put Bosch or ValuCraft or whatever generic-name-here brand you want. Not on a KJ (maybe most jeeps?).

Injectors don't fail as often as most would tend to think.. but not impossible. I'd test them before replacing them. There are procedures for determining such things, so you dont take the shotgun approach.

Loose or faulty valve lifters and failing or weak springs might be my next best recommendation, as was mentioned above as well.

You also need to address that P0132 code. It's there for a reason and you can't really make much of a determination on anything else going on while that's still present. That code generically happens when the O2 voltage remains above 450mV for too long (like 20 seconds). That indicates a persistent rich condition. So your injector theory may be right here, but then you need to test each injector on that bank to see which one, if any is the culprit.

I would also make sure to get in there with a DVOM and probe the O2 wiring for proper voltage levels.

Latest posts

Members online