Rough Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well put tjkj. Although the Tiguan does have considerably more 'off road' ability than RAV, CRV, Escape etc., it's 4Motion (Haldex awd) still has no low range. And it's based on the Rabbit/Golf platform. So when it comes to a purpose built body, and off the pavement skills, were talking apples and oranges here. A Jeep Liberty 4X4 is not competing with the cute utes, it's more like a civilized Wrangler IMO.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the next thing I will have to hear is that a KJ is almost as good as a wrangler off road
or how it can haul all kinds of weight
or that AT's are fine for off roading

I already got the line about how heavy
the KJ is which is wrong the average KJ is not
as heavy as you think
They weigh about 4000# but are bigger
the others weigh in about 3500# is that 500#
why the mpg's suck or they are turds getting
up to speed
My TJ weighs 3800# on average and is a much bigger **** than the KJ ever was

My point is simple
The OP was looking at a KJ and complaining about
the ride
Well yeah that is what you get you don't buy ANY thing with the Jeep name for those reasons when the others do it so much better
He was buying for looks , lights and fender flares
Then don't look for the other stuff
That would be like ******** about a CR-v sucking
off road yeah no *****
Or talking about how you can get a brand new KK
for about $20k
Maybe but at 18 mpg it will cost a bunch more
over 5 years so unless you plan to drop a bunch
more money and get 4wd and use it the others
are a better choice

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Renegade, stock, weighs 5,200 lbs empty but I don't think anybody buys any Jeep for racing unless you buy an SRT8 Grand, maybe. A minimal amount of people consider MPGs when they decide to get a Jeep I'm sure.

I think we're just inferring the OP differently. I read it as he likes the Liberty and is looking for a way to improve a vehicle he already likes and I think you inferred it as the ride is make or break in the decision.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
prove where this is not just a term made up by Jeep
best I can find it was made up but is the same as unibody
Guess you never looked under yours when you owned it.The KJ has 2 very noticeable "rails" going from the front to the back with the body intergrated to these 2 rails.Stronger then a unibody,just shy of being as strong as a body on frame.Lighter then body on frame also,yes heavier then a unibody design.

Yes your TJ is a ****,it's got the 4.0 I6,glad it's gone now.Getting a vehicle that get's 18mpg's average for $20,000 will save you money on buying a vehicle that gets 25mpg's average for $30,000.You can drive for years on $10,000 of gas,it would take years to make up the cost advantage over 7mpg better average on a much cheaper vehicle.

Yes AT's suck big time offroad,the only one good point you made.

Oh and a KJ weights range from about 3700lbs(2.4 gas 2wd) to about 4200lbs(4wd CRD).My '02 Limited 4wd was just under 4000lbs when stock.

thirdmotion

Reaction score
Hmm, Please dont high jack the thread. It is very important for me to learn all the facts before i purchase a vehicle and for someone in future that might find this thread useful.
This thread has been very helpful up to some point. Now, i like liberty. I like everything about it including its offroad capabilities except rough ride. Its a fact jeep kjs have a rough ride even as new. The one im looking to buy with 47k miles is no better. Im sure everyone will have different opinions on what a rough ride is or the level of roughness one will consider rough. Fact is, through my reasearch ive learned that a MAJOR complaint about liberty consumers is that "it rides rough and bumpy". I can send you links if u dont believe me or u can just google it. Anyway, this is the case for me too after test driving 3 of them. I now know that these shocks are shot as they do after 40k miles. Now what i need to know is, what options are avilable for me to improve this vehicle to my needs and liking or if its even possible. It might differ from your liking and needs. Im not just looking for a 1950 caddy with boat syndrome ride that swings back and forth and thats unsafe. There are ton of vehicles that rides smooth, firm and handles well with good safety ratings. This is just what i want and to find out if i can make kj like this. Its that simple. With that said, ive learned OME and bilstein shocks will improve overall handling and provide firm/stiffer ride. What i need to know is "how much improvement can i expect from these parts before i purchase the vehicle and spend ton of money on parts and labor?" Also are there any alternative options of feeling less pavement? As of now this seems like a impossible thing to do on a KJ in which case as disappointed i am, i will have to move onto a different vehicle.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What state do you live in? You might be close to someone who can show you how the ride is with their setup.

My ome spring (heavy duty), rancho shock on goodyear mtrs rides a little firm on the street but with stock goodyears my mother and grandmother who both have a lot of issues with pain found the ride to be more comfortable than my moms touring edition honda odyssey that is a couple years old with run flat tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
thirdmotion
I really don't think you'll be happy with a KJ
I have never told anyone that but anything but a Prius ( and even not them cause they are crap) is going to go down the road and not feel some bumps etc.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess you never looked under yours when you owned it.The KJ has 2 very noticeable "rails" going from the front to the back with the body intergrated to these 2 rails.Stronger then a unibody,just shy of being as strong as a body on frame.Lighter then body on frame also,yes heavier then a unibody design.

Yes your TJ is a ****,it's got the 4.0 I6,glad it's gone now.Getting a vehicle that get's 18mpg's average for $20,000 will save you money on buying a vehicle that gets 25mpg's average for $30,000.You can drive for years on $10,000 of gas,it would take years to make up the cost advantage over 7mpg better average on a much cheaper vehicle.

Yes AT's suck big time offroad,the only one good point you made.

Oh and a KJ weights range from about 3700lbs(2.4 gas 2wd) to about 4200lbs(4wd CRD).My '02 Limited 4wd was just under 4000lbs when stock.

really the same rails that are under my mother in laws buick centry
uniframe is a term that was made up by Jeep to sell people on the idea of a unibody SUV nothing more ,the XJ is "uniframe"

as far as cost
good thing I only paid 22K for a 28 mpg car and not 30K
equiped the same as the KK that would cost more than 20K

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, Please dont high jack the thread. It is very important for me to learn all the facts before i purchase a vehicle and for someone in future that might find this thread useful.
This thread has been very helpful up to some point. Now, i like liberty. I like everything about it including its offroad capabilities except rough ride. Its a fact jeep kjs have a rough ride even as new. The one im looking to buy with 47k miles is no better. Im sure everyone will have different opinions on what a rough ride is or the level of roughness one will consider rough. Fact is, through my reasearch ive learned that a MAJOR complaint about liberty consumers is that "it rides rough and bumpy". I can send you links if u dont believe me or u can just google it. Anyway, this is the case for me too after test driving 3 of them. I now know that these shocks are shot as they do after 40k miles. Now what i need to know is, what options are avilable for me to improve this vehicle to my needs and liking or if its even possible. It might differ from your liking and needs. Im not just looking for a 1950 caddy with boat syndrome ride that swings back and forth and thats unsafe. There are ton of vehicles that rides smooth, firm and handles well with good safety ratings. This is just what i want and to find out if i can make kj like this. Its that simple. With that said, ive learned OME and bilstein shocks will improve overall handling and provide firm/stiffer ride. What i need to know is "how much improvement can i expect from these parts before i purchase the vehicle and spend ton of money on parts and labor?" Also are there any alternative options of feeling less pavement? As of now this seems like a impossible thing to do on a KJ in which case as disappointed i am, i will have to move onto a different vehicle.

The KJ is not a suv and not a car. It has a short wheelbase. I put my OME HD springs on at 40K with the Rancho shocks and I went from a shifty (what will this bump do to me?) ride to a ride on rails feel that is so building of confidence its scary. I can't really explain the difference good enough to give it any justice.

You're not gonna be happy with it until you lift it with OME springs and new shocks. Read and search the lift section and you'll find all the info you need. You can spend $800 or $2500. Really nothing in between and anything less your just buying time and hardship.

I must say that tires have a lot to do with it too. Don't skimp on tires.

All the info you need is on this site. You can start by going to http://jeepinbyal.com/.

Latest posts

Members online