Roaring noise in 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the front end of the KJ is always "lcoked in" that front driveshaft still turns regardless if it's in 2wd or 4wd.I'd get it fixed ASAP or remove the front driveshaft all together till you can fix it.If left like that it will only get worse and will start to hear noises in 2wd then it can fail at anytime and I've seen failed front driveshafts come through the tunnel and into the cabin just missing the drivers leg by inches.At highway speeds if it lets go it has enough force to take your leg right off.

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a price from a local garage that my family has gone to for years. They priced it at 200 for the repair after parts and labor. They stated it was to replace the whole drive shaft but price wise it seems to be just the drive shaft head like I asked about. I would do it myself but I am not sure on my confidence on doing that repair.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that hard tbh but it can be very time consuming if it's your first time and had many :doh2: moments like I did

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did it... took me two hours due to the beer... hardest part was getting the whole shaft assembly out. After that it was cake!

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late update. I brought it to the garage yo get the drive shaft replaced. Upon investigating it on a lift the rear boot was found to have no rips. Also while testing it on the lift in 4wd the noise is coming from inside the transfer case. I will be bringing it to another shop for further diagnosis. Is there a chain inside that may need adjusting?

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ctlberty-
Yes, there is a chain inside the transfer case....but I don't think it can be adjusted. I didn't realize when first purchased, and found out about it later on. If I had my way, I'd get one of those nice Atlas transfer cases. Now, THOSE are helical cut gears. Good luck, and I know this won't be cheap!

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you T-case be low in fluid? Have your mechanic check it or if you feel comfortable crawl under your Jeep, open the top fill plug and stick your finger in.
I believe the T-case takes ATF 4.

sent from my Galaxy SIII & Tapatalk4 beta

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know it has been awhile since I posted last. Last night I pulled the driveshaft and sure enough the transfer case side cv boot was gone. i ended up getting a new driveshaft for 300 and installed it and now it is working great.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know it has been awhile since I posted last. Last night I pulled the driveshaft and sure enough the transfer case side cv boot was gone. i ended up getting a new driveshaft for 300 and installed it and now it is working great.

Well done!

For future searches on this topic, it isn't necessary to replace the entire driveshaft, though dealers and other repair shops will tell you otherwise. The CV joints on each end of the driveshaft are available from several sources (driveshaftparts.com is one) and are easily swapped out. As of this writing the CV joint at the transfer case end is only $45 plus shipping from driveshaftparts.com

Bob