Roaring noise in 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a NP231 transfer case. Last winter during the Blizzard I heard a roaring noise when in 4wd high on snow covered roads at 25-30 mph when I am on the gas. When off the gas no noise. At a rolling speed (5 mph) I would hear a ticking noise when going straight only when in 4wd. In 2wd there is no noise. I checked all the joints boots and there is no rips or leakage. I also brought it to a garage and they checked it and said it sounded like it was coming from the transfer case. Any ideas what it could be?

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check again. Could it be the joints at the front drive shaft since it isn't making the noise in 2wd?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Its probably the CV coming out of the transfer case (which many of us had a problem with and have/are going to replace). Unless you have a serious t-case issue :freak3:

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While in 2wd is the driveshaft supposed to have any play? Besides checking the boot how else can I check it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the rear boot on the front driveshaft
Also front driveshaft turns all of the time anyways
How many miles are on it ?
May help to determine what it is as well

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has 147k on it. I will check the rear boot on it again in the morning when its hopefully dry out. With jeep off the driveshaft turns a little bit

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be the right side CV and Intermediate shaft as well
They wear out as well, splined together and the splines rust, get dry and wear

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know exactly what that is since I'm having the exact same issue. Check your cv boot on your front dshaft coming out of the tcase. I will bet money that that's where your problem is. I ordered up my replacement cv head from driveshaftparts.com and should be here monday or tuesday :waytogo:

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20130716_161938_347.jpg
    IMG_20130716_161938_347.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20130716_161954_248.jpg
    IMG_20130716_161954_248.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 21

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From that angle we cant see much. Please take one looking into the boot from the driveshaft side. Thanks!

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's the boot inside the bulbous end that we need to see.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Different angle picture helps (looking INTO the joint). BUT from what I can see in picture two, it looks like the part of the boot that's zipped closed to the end of the driveshaft is sheared off of the rest of the boot (there is no continuation of boot from what is shown there). That's what it looks like to me!

See my attachment:

Attachments

• IMG_20130716_161954_248.jpg
    IMG_20130716_161954_248.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at it again this morning the boot is ripped away from where its zipped to the driveshaft. From driving in 4wd last winter could I have caused harm to the transfer case with the bad joint? Also would there be issues driving until I fixed it if I stayed in 2wd?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at it again this morning the boot is ripped away from where its zipped to the driveshaft. From driving in 4wd last winter could I have caused harm to the transfer case with the bad joint? Also would there be issues driving until I fixed it if I stayed in 2wd?

The boot only protects the CV joint - there is no opening into the transfer case past the boot. When you take the driveshaft out you'll see that the transfer case yoke is essentially a cup into which the CV joint sits. So no harm to the transfer case.

You won't hurt anything by driving in 2WD - the joint is already toast and that's as much damage as you can do to it. It may get noisier but that's about it. If you want you can remove the driveshaft now and just drive in 2WD until you get a new CV joint; just be SURE you don't accidentally put it in 4WD or you can definitely create a "problem" for yourself :jawdrop:

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be doing mine Friday or Saturday. I will be sure to take lots of pictures!