right rear brake pad wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody else have their right rear brake pads wear faster than the other 3? At 48k miles the pads were worn out while the left rear had maybe another 20-30k left on 'em. Also the outside pad wore more than the inside.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
plus a very few have had that caliper stick, which could be from what TBJ stated

My rear brakes are still original at 135,000 miles
just for an update

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
The caliper is sticking. IF you have caught it in time, you can take it apart and lubricate it. But most likely increased heat has damage the caliper and you will not be able to fully collapse the piston. :(

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear brakes sticking isnt from the slides, its from the piston in the caliper getting stuck. My RR has seized up and the slides were perfectly fine. Right now the slides on my front breaks are getting hard to move. Pads are wearing at an angle too. Those slides are not on the calipers though, they are on the bracket that holds the caliper.

If the slides were sticking one of the pads would wear and the other wouldnt. Both rear sets on mine will be due before too long. Im at 45k. Fronts are about the same.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's back together now. The caliper depressed just fine. The slides appeared to be o.k. I greased them up a bit. I'll just keep a closer eye on this and consider a caliper rebuild.

I wonder if the ESP could have anything to do with it. My wife drives it most of the time and Mrs. 51-in-35 tells me it's not unusual for the tire(s) to spin a bit when accelerating from a dead stop on wet pavement.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then it's probably from the traction control trying to keep that right rear in check

That is what my immediate thought was when I read the first post. If it were left rear I would think something sticking, but the computer does not want you to spin your tires at all and tries its best to prevent wheelspin by applying the brakes. Even my right rear was worn more than the left when I checked it (cleaning mud out from Hollister Hills).

Check the rears more often than you think you need to and tell your wife to go a little easier cause she can flip it easily;)