Reverse Light Bulb comparison test....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In an effort to find a better than stock bulb for my reverse lights I purchased two different brands of 3157 clear bulbs, then did a side by side comparison of both with the stock bulb original to my Liberty.....

Sylvania Silverstar, and PIAA H.I.D.

The PIAA H.I.D. bulbs are without a doubt whiter, but the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs are by far brighter. The Silverstar does have a slight amber tint to them compared to the PIAA's, but not as amber as the stock bulbs original to my Liberty. Both are brighter than the stock bulb which IMHO is a very weak and anemic excuse for a reverse light bulb.

These bulbs by no means provide the same level of light as auxiliary outboard lighting fixtures, but for those looking to get more brightness out of your backup lights, but don't want to drill more holes or run more wires, these Sylvania Silverstar 3157's are about the best you can do without melting your tail light fixture.....

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a demanding group of disbelievers here.......:rolleyes:

Stuck at work for the next 24 Hrs. and working off an old tube powered laptop with a weak pirated connection.....so you'll all have to wait on the photographic evidence on this one......:p

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of this August 19th I'll have completed 25 years on the job.....

and thank you....:)

Congrats and I commend the job you firefighters do. That is great.

Dave

PS............I don't see no stinkin tail/back-up lights.........:D

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK....all you disbelievers, I have provided the photos you all so desperately want to see......:rolleyes:

Judging the actual brightness of a light fixture via a digital photo is marginal at best, but I tried to capture the best image of the Sylvania, and PIAA bulbs that I could.

First up the PIAA H.I.D.....
You must be registered for see images attach

The Sylvania Silverstar.....
You must be registered for see images attach

It's hard to tell by the photos, but as I said, the PIAA's are whiter, but the Sylvania's are brighter. The naked eye is a much better judge than a photo, don't believe me, buy both and try it for yourselves....

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Silverstar does look brighter in the pics. The light looks more intense and seems like it has less of an opacity than that of the first photo.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How 'bout you put a PIAA in one side and the Silvania in the other and send me the two new leftovers? I'll do my own "independant" test and corroborate with your findings. Peer review at it's best!! Hey, you're also on the hook for shipping.

Don't say I didn't try.:D