Resistance is now LIFTED (plus new MAN tires:)!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, what TBJ said. You seriously have hindered the rear of your KJ. That is why I asked. 1.5 inches of travel is no good. That spring just looks wrong. Either they did something wrong, or it is the wrong type of spring. No wonder it goes bonk when you hit bumps.

Midgear

Reaction score
I hate to blabber, seeing as I dont have a lift or know little about them.. but that doesn't even look like the correct spring for the liberty. anyone else think that spring has too many coils?

and get you some hockey pucks for the added bump stop and get that rubber mallet out of there!

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score

UPDATE: Skyjacker and Rusty has these rear coil springs for Jeep Liberty, which exactly look like mine: So it seems these are the right rear coils, just a different type.

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/jeepliberty20022006skyjackers97lib25r607064.html
You must be registered for see images

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RC-CS900-KJ&Category_Code=COILS

Tony, to make sure, when the vehicle stands level, I took two pics from the rear. Do you see binding here?
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I got my right front tire on a concrete block and took some photos. First, this was what the vehicle looked like at full flex:

And these are the rear springs, left fully compressed and right flexed. Does the left coil view represent spring binding or full compression?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm.
At first, it didn't look like the coils were stacked...but the top and bottom are definitely touching. Sure they're close.

Bumpstop it a half inch longer, and there shouldn't be any issues.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For one I would say the bumpstop was too long , but then after seeing it at full flex, bumpstop would be OK but man that spring doesn't look right at all the way the top bows over, of course mine does as well somewhat.
Mine at full flex on the left side (OMEs)

Still trying to fiqure this one out

Let me read through the posts again and get back on here a little later

I think one of the noises you hear has to be the bumpstop when going over bumps/ potholes. Even though it appears they need to be that long to prevent stacking, since he only has about one and a half to two inches of lift at most they are too long. Also need to double check the bolts on the shocks. The spring just doesn't seem to quite sit in there right from the looks of it, maybe R&R and look it over good.

First thing I would do is find that rock again loosen the bottom shocj bolt and see if you can spin the spring around to sit better and then reattach the shock and check the torque,then do the other side. Try to position both springs in the same position.
How did they attach the bumpstops in there? Any way to reach in and cut 1/2 inch off at least?

Just thinking it through.

Last edited:

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear friends, thank you for for your effort and help. Unfortunately, mechanics here(who claim to be experienced on Chrysler Jeep), do not have as much theoric knowledge about lift kits EVEN as me.. Despite this fact, they love to charge people shocking amonts, as well as doing a 2 hrs work in 2 days..

I'd love to take care of it myself as Tony said, but I haven't taken out a single bolt from a car in my life, nor do I have the tools to do it.

BTW, I have no other complications with the new suspensions: The ride is superior, stability at high speeds, sudden brakes and sharp turns are cool. No jumpy or stiff ride..I love it.
The only problem is the disturbing THUMPS, which comes also from the front of the vehicle (I realized today).
Here's an illustration I now made to explain how it happens. 1) When dropping down an incilination to a flat surface, 2) When colliding with an inclination:

Talk about OME 948 rear springs, here they are, which exactly look like mine. Long and 8 coils spring, not short and 4 coils like yours. If BDS coils are ******, how different could the same shaped OME coils possibly be at full flex??
http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-OME_Spring_for_Rear-625.aspx

Last edited:

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had asked the dealer at 4wd.com if they sent me the wrong rear springs and the spring looking shifted. Here's the reply he sent today:
I showed my Tech this picture and he said that the Rear Spring is supposed to be this way.. When you put a Longer Spring on the Jeep, if is going to kick back the Control arm and be a little curved.. He said that you could try to locate a Longer Control arm.. But he said that it really isn’t necessary for a 2” Lift Kit, and you would be fine with the spring looking this way..

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear friends, thank you for for your effort and help. Unfortunately, mechanics here(who claim to be experienced on Chrysler Jeep), do not have as much theoric knowledge about lift kits EVEN as me.. Despite this fact, they love to charge people shocking amonts, as well as doing a 2 hrs work in 2 days..

I'd love to take care of it myself as Tony said, but I haven't taken out a single bolt from a car in my life, nor do I have the tools to do it.

BTW, I have no other complications with the new suspensions: The ride is superior, stability at high speeds, sudden brakes and sharp turns are cool. No jumpy or stiff ride..I love it.
The only problem is the disturbing THUMPS, which comes also from the front of the vehicle (I realized today).
Here's an illustration I now made to explain how it happens. 1) When dropping down an incilination to a flat surface, 2) When colliding with an inclination:

Talk about OME 948 rear springs, here they are, which exactly look like mine. Long and 8 coils spring, not short and 4 coils like yours. If BDS coils are ******, how different could the same shaped OME coils possibly be at full flex??
http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-OME_Spring_for_Rear-625.aspx

Those are not OME REAR springs. At least not for a KJ. That is just a general picture. Honestly I think he could put a little more work into the Website and get real pictures so it doesn't confuse people.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both 947 and 948 have the same pics. Even if we assume they are not OME, they may be another brand, also both Skyjacker and Rusty's have the same type of rear coils for the KJ. Plus, after examining the photos of my rear springs, the technician's statement at 4wd.com is above.

Given all these, it's hard for me to believe the coils belong to another vehicle. Still if they do, I must admit they are really good substitutes for the KJ:)

Anyway, back to the main problem: The thumping noise.
Sounds like it's the bumpstops hitting each other.. If my rear coils are more likely to stack up at hard bumps, I theorically need longer bumpstops to prevent this. As Tom said, I have about 2" of lift. If I cut 1/2" off each bumpstop, the springs will compress more. Will I have more stacking issues at the cost of getting less thumps? Or should I cut them off right away?

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both 947 and 948 have the same pics. Even if we assume they are not OME, they may be another brand, also both Skyjacker and Rusty's have the same type of rear coils for the KJ. Plus, after examining the photos of my rear springs, the technician's statement at 4wd.com is above.

Given all these, it's hard for me to believe the coils belong to another vehicle. Still if they do, I must admit they are really good substitutes for the KJ:)

Anyway, back to the main problem: The thumping noise.
Sounds like it's the bumpstops hitting each other.. If my rear coils are more likely to stack up at hard bumps, I theorically need longer bumpstops to prevent this. As Tom said, I have about 2" of lift. If I cut 1/2" off each bumpstop, the springs will compress more. Will I have more stacking issues at the cost of getting less thumps? Or should I cut them off right away?

does it thump just with normal driving? you need to determine if the bumpstops are hitting each other. put some grease on one bumpstop, go drive around make it thump. then come back and see if the grease was transfered to the other bumpstop. Let us know what you find.

Midgear

Reaction score
are the crush sleeves in the rear shocks the correct size? (take out the bolts, see if they are the same size as the inner diameter of the steel tubes in the shocks)...

Upper crush sleeve not the same whith as the pocket? (Resistance, check if you can move the top end of the rear shock sideways)

this right here sounds like what would be causing the thump or clunk.. I just dont see two chunks of rubber making the noise that he's describing.

Members online

No members online now.