Required Fluid Types

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ran the Bosch Long Distance Oil Filters before, they are very pricey. Works well, and much better quality then the plain Fram. But I like Purolator or Wix over all the rest. As for motor oil I run Havoline Pro DS Synthetic (AKA - Chevron Brand / Gas Monkey Garage Approved and good enough for me ).

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run with 5k mile oil change intervals using the following:

royal purple filter 20-400 (the rp filters have been compared to others many times and filter out the finest particulate and hold up great, i would only run these or napa platinum made by wix)

royal purple 5-w30 (when i can find it i will be switching over to the high mileage version which is a true synthetic and contains the synerlec additive) i would only run this, mobil 1 ep, or BG motor oil (synthetic and meets european standards)
BG Motor Oil Additive (MOA)

BG CF5 (add to full tank and run it almost empty) which helps to reduce carbon buildup

chevron techron injector cleaner

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is great Tom that you have 210k miles and still running strong!
I really do believe that frequent quality oil changes at lower miles does prolong the life of engines. Mobil1 EP (extended) is full synthetic & good oil.
I just confirmed my actual mileage on oil change from Sat, 2600 miles was on it, and it was dirty on the bottom of dipstick after sitting all night. It looked black coming out from drain plug..eek!
Would switching from a $5 Napa Gold Filter to a $13 Napa Platinum make that much of a difference? I guess I will have to try one next time and find out. It would appear that the Napa platinum is a bit more robust & offers filter media formulated specifically for synthetics. I've never really been into all this boutique stuff just changing oil & filter at lower miles, and keep driving. I suppose one could say that if I keep changing at 3-3500 miles, the Napa Gold still works well and no need for premium filters? The proof would be pulling the dipstick and see if it cleaner at the same amount of miles.
50795[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• NAPAPlatinumOilFilter.jpg
    NAPAPlatinumOilFilter.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How about a new Mercedes diesel put into a KJ..that would be interesting! hmmm..
Were the CRD's Italian/USA?

dljacko

Reaction score
Mercedes never made any engine(or designed) ever put into a KJ or KK.All you see is Daimler/Chrysler on the emission tag on the radiator support since at the time Mercedes owned Chrysler.

I'm sorry but I assumed that the 5 point star was the Mercedes insignia as most of our diesels were either Mercedes or later on, Fiat

dljacko

Reaction score
That sorts that one out for me. Thanks.
For interest, my 2003 WG Laredo had the 5 cylinder 2.7CRD Mercedes motor and, whilst it was running ok, would pull Christ off the cross it had that much power. I once did a long run with a stock-car trailer with another Jeep on it and it returned 8.8L per 100kms (which equates to about 32mpg in our miles and gallons of course). I got rid of it because of continuing electronic problems which were sending me broke.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok 03 made in December of 02. Which power steering to use? Looks brown.... hard to tell though since it has probably never been flushed
You must be registered for see images attach

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
up to you either power steering fluid or atf+4.
Doesn't matter.
You want less number of fluids to keep in stock? change to atf+4

Last edited:

Cyberdrone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guy's,

I have a european CRD 2.8, 6 speed manual and I would need to service the transmission. I presume it also needs the ATF 4 fluid ? Is there anything else I need ?

Thx in advance.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in upper Michigan where it gets pretty cold in the winter. Is 80w90 Dino gear lube OK to use in both diffs????

Latest posts

Members online