Replacement Diff Covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi - I'm new here:) I've read that some people have said that the front diff can destroy itself under certain conditions. I was wondering if anyone had tried some of the replacement diff covers for the DANA 30- like the ARB cast iron cover, and if it would strengthen the diff- or have I misunderstood something?

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diff usually cracks at the pinion. Many people use a collar to strengthen the area. A cover probably won't do anything, and is useless as it is covered by the front skid.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the Dana30a on the liberty you will see that it does not have a typical cover. The cover on it is actually used to mount the front differential in the Jeep.

And like jeepkj02 said, the diff cracks at the pinion. The pinion tries to climb the ring gear and splits the entire case in half.

Only thing thats been thought-up is to buy a 3-9/16in collar and bolt around the pinion. Weather or not it helps, no one knows. Ive not read about a diff being broke with one on yet. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of that information guys - stopped me buying unusable kit! :)Where can I get one of those collars from? Sorry - just done a search and read the posts - especially TJ's.

Last edited: