Replace struts rustys lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jess8e

Reaction score
Bought a used rustys 2.5 lift off Craigslist, weird to find that there I know, and installed it about a year ago. I'm not sure if my mind is trucking me or the front is sagging. I've read the horror stories about this kit so save your breath insulting me, this is supposed to be a support site. I'll try to figure out how to post pictures or message me your email and I'll send them. Went to jeepinbyal and couldn't find a strut to replace mine. The iron man struts only go up to 1.5 lift and the ome are WAY too much. I need a 150 or less per strut cause I still gotta pay some focker to put them on for me.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, your not going to find a replacement shock or coil for a rustys lift on Jeepinbyal as he does not have anything to do with that junk lift. Also Ironman and OME say 1.5 inches of lift but beieve it or not you will get more lift out of both of them than you will a rusty's lift and it will last too! Not trying to insult you or be mean just the way it is, rustys lift is known to sag out and not be the best choice for a lift. Lastly paying some "focker" to put them on for you is not really needed installing them is pretty simple you just may need a shop to assembly it for you.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a support site now? :shrug::icon_lol:

If you go with OME springs that should sit you at 2.5". Ironman would sit you at about 2" compared to what is actually listed is my undertanding. I mean, I don't know what else you have in such as top plates, clevis spacers etc but that would affect it and possibly net higher results as well. You would want to replace both the front and rear springs together though So you are looking at more than the amount you mentioned above. You are probably looking at a bit over $300 or so for front and rear springs.

You can buy just the OME fronts for about $167 off JBA if that is all you really want to do though. As for sturts, the Liberty doesn't use struts at all but(even thought it's commonly referred as struts). New shocks will not help with sag as they do not offer any lift. Just the springs do. But considering you are sagged the front shocks are probably gone as well.

Last edited:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heh heh, to some of us, our Jeep hobby can be considered a "sickness".

Hello, My name is Rick and I've been a Jeepaholic for going on 15 years. It started with me just thinking about Jeeps but never pulliong the trigger with trying it. Well, about a year or 2 ago I finally took my first swig of Jeep and it's been a spiral ever since. It's cost me all of my money, my time, My family. You dont' know addiction until you've sucked gas from a lawnmower to put in your Jeep to get yourself to work man...:icon_eek:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK not slamming you , but there is really no use in replacing the front shocks with those springs. Shocks basically control the bouncing etc as you go over bumps etc. Rustys springs are weak when new, let alone with some age to them. So adding new shocks will not really help since the worn springs will kill the new shocks in a short time. Waste of good money really.
If you want cheap shocks I suppose you could go use the cheapest Monroes you could find and install them, yes believe it or not all front shocks are pretty much the same length except for the Ironman which are longer.
I know we are not giving you the answers you want or maybe the support you were looking for, but one thing we are is honest in our answers :icon_lol:

By the way..............measure from middle of the wheel in front to bottom of the flare and report back

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, My name is Rick and I've been a Jeepaholic for going on 15 years. It started with me just thinking about Jeeps but never pulliong the trigger with trying it. Well, about a year or 2 ago I finally took my first swig of Jeep and it's been a spiral ever since. It's cost me all of my money, my time, My family. You dont' know addiction until you've sucked gas from a lawnmower to put in your Jeep to get yourself to work man...:icon_eek:

Only 15 years??? Dang newbies............:happy175:
Try over 40 plus years :happy175:
so much money , so much time, ..........................:emotions34::shrug:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only 15 years??? Dang newbies............:happy175:
Try over 40 plus years :happy175:
so much money , so much time, ..........................:emotions34::shrug:

I'm only 34 though lol I have no excuse as to why I waited so long to actually buy my frist Jeep though since I had wanted one for a long time.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm only 34 though lol I have no excuse as to why I waited so long to actually buy my frist Jeep though since I had wanted one for a long time.
My 1st vehicle I ever owned was a Jeep,funny thing is it was not my 1st choice.I wanted a F150 but had a limited budget(hey I was 12,not a lot of $$$) and the '79 Wagoneer was $400 and my budget was $500.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had wanted a Wrangler every since I rode in a friends dads and fell in love with it. I have no clue why I never persued anything Jeep though since I had always wanted one up until I got the Liberty. When I got the LIberty was when I saw how expensive Wranglers where and was a little taken back.

ThatGuyConnery

Reaction score
So in reading this, I thought I escaped a money pit when I sold my 02 Land Rover Discovery and bought my current 07 Liberty................so what everyone is really trying to say is I am now in the same boat, just with a different name? Nice.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So in reading this, I thought I escaped a money pit when I sold my 02 Land Rover Discovery and bought my current 07 Liberty................so what everyone is really trying to say is I am now in the same boat, just with a different name? Nice.

Money pit ? I think not you are way ahead of owning a LR now.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts are easier to find and over half the cost of LR parts.Your saving $$$.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a land rover is not a jeep and a jeep is not a land rover, but a jeep has cheaper parts and has deep roots america and is a brand like no other in the world! Well at least for me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus we were discussing lifts, 800-1000 is not that much for a good lift , I've paid more than that and ended up with a crappy ride and then had to try again. That was back before internet/forums where you could ask and get real world experience