Replace Belt Tensioner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I started to try and use the 1/2" socket because it was so close. I didn't, because it was the same cheap brand as the 13mm socket I rounded out back in February that started this. The one I bought to replace it was a 13mm impact socket, which is still fine but is also apparently much stronger than the bolt.

Nevertheless, I found an Irwin set with a 13mm extractor and should have it by Thursday. If I can't find the bolt locally I'll be dependent on the online place I ordered one from. They had free ground shipping but wanted $45 for next-day shipping - all for a $1.67 bolt. :icon_twisted:

Way earlier in this thread I mentioned what looked like a whitish spray which had accumulated on the top of the oil filter. I cleaned it and all the pulleys really well on Saturday while I was trying to figure out what to do about the bolt. Well, I checked this morning and it is back. The pulleys all have a fine dusting of white powder along one side which I have determined is from the edge of the belt. If I were to clean it off, anyone looking at it would see no problem, just a brand new belt and clean pulleys. Something is slowly tugging the belt back towards the rear of the Jeep and causing it to chafe on the side. I'm praying that it is the tensioner and that the problem goes away once it is replaced. In the meantime, I am really glad I already have a spare belt on hand.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh man.
I think I used my old bolt and the new bolt is in the box w/ the old tentionser in my storage unit.

Want it? I could use a priority USPS flat rate envelope which I think should be 2-3 days.
I still owe you one.

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A customer suggested that gator grip the other day. Yea the as seen on tv gator grip. I said it looks cheap like it would slip and break. He claimed it is high quality and he beats it up good and always gets the rounded bolts off. This is not my personal experience just saying. I usually see them at walmart.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my water pump let loose on the exit ramp after a 4 hour highway drive across the state (very lucky it happened at low speed) I was able to immediately pull over. When the local shop replaced the pump/thermostat/and belt I also had them replace the tensioner, based on what people (OK, mostly Tom - thanks!) were saying on this forum. That was 45K miles ago, so far so good.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A customer suggested that gator grip the other day. Yea the as seen on tv gator grip. I said it looks cheap like it would slip and break. He claimed it is high quality and he beats it up good and always gets the rounded bolts off. This is not my personal experience just saying. I usually see them at walmart.

Wouldn't have one a them up my ****, even if I had room for a steamboat.:thumbsdown:

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't have one a them up my ****, even if I had room for a steamboat.:thumbsdown:

Bob

Like i said i havnt used it but this guy swore buy it. He said oh that gator grips the only socket i need. Whole time i thought he was going to pull out a brochure or something. Try and get me to join his cult.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
oh man.
I think I used my old bolt and the new bolt is in the box w/ the old tentionser in my storage unit.

Want it? I could use a priority USPS flat rate envelope which I think should be 2-3 days.
I still owe you one.
I considered it, then figured I could pick one up locally. The Jeep dealer was out but they swear they'll have it Friday. The one I already ordered from Avondale has shipped, so who knows - it might get here by the weekend anyway. Thanks, though! :)

When I was checking the specs on the set of Irwin's I ordered it never occurred to me to take that parameter into account. Gee, I hope the 13mm fits. (On the bolt, not in my...) :happy175:

After a big bowl of chili, you could probably play that thing like a pipe organ! :happy175:
I'm pretty sure that's how Bach got his start. :mexsmoke:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Just discovered that the Irwin set had been delivered. They definitely look like they will work. I'll be finding out soon. Any recommendation as to trying to squirt some penetrating oil in there? :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I haven't bothered before now. No real way to get oil to drip sideways. :shrug:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
No luck. I went to bed last night feeling confident that this would be an easy day. The Irwin socket tries to get a grip on the bolt but can't quite manage. The head of the bolt is actually not very high.

If I had enough room to swing a big hammer I think I could pound the thing on there anyway and get it. As it it, I can see why that one guy took a saw to his. :blah:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no. He's having issue with that single bolt that holds the auto belt tensioner which has 2 pulleys on it.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
try removing the idler pulleys. maybe that'll give you some room for a vice grip.
I came close to talking myself into that about a dozen times earlier today. I stopped each time because I don't have any replacements for the pulleys or their bolts (short of cannibalizing the brand new tensioner) and was afraid I'd leave the thing undriveable. I did talk to a local mechanic I trust and may let him have a crack at it early next week.

My GF is coming down from Cleveland next Friday and we have a nice little trip planned for the long weekend. I am torn between crossing my fingers and waiting until afterwards, or pressing on and trying to get it fixed beforehand. The final piece of the puzzle is that I have no way of being 100% sure that the tensioner will actually make any difference. ANY of the stuff the belt connects to could be the culprit. I went for the tensioner because it was relatively inexpensive and was easy...

Haha!!!! Easy!!!!!! Hahahahaha!!!!!!!! The store was even out of straitjackets in my size!!!!!!! [insert lunatic smilie here]

Hahahaha!!!! (maniacal laughter echoes through the night) Hahahaha!!!! :025:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Got my belt wear gauges yesterday (thanks, uss2defiant!). They said they'd send a pair but I guess they heard about my problems because they sent FIVE of them. :happy175:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because you'll break the first 4 trying to figure out how to use it?? LOL

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my belt wear gauges yesterday (thanks, uss2defiant!). They said they'd send a pair but I guess they heard about my problems because they sent FIVE of them. :happy175:

I got mine yesterday too! I thought I was special since I got five. Guess they just grab a bunch and throw them in the envelope. :gr_grin:

Because you'll break the first 4 trying to figure out how to use it?? LOL

True! Who need instructions. I say just go for it! :favorites13: