Replace Belt Tensioner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Attempted to change the tensioner but was stalled by the bolt.

Long story short, but when I had to change my water pump last February I had trouble getting it off. Back then, I could feel the cheap socket I had beginning to slip, made a quick trip to the store for a heavy duty socket, then ended up doing the job after dark in (literally) single-digit temps. At that point I just threw the breaker bar on there and heaved, which made it break loose. There's something to be said for a foul mood and having one's patience exhausted, I guess.

Today I anticipated no troubles. After all, I'd just had the thing off six months ago, so how tight could it be on there? Besides, I already had my heavy duty socket on hand. No problem, right?

Well... I put the socket on and felt it move. Cool! Gonna be easy. Turns out the heavy duty socket was slipping and there is what appears to be some very minor rounding of the bolt beginning to take place. But...since the bolt head is recessed and there was no easy "Plan B" (like using a pipe wrench and replacing the bolt), I actually had a sudden onset of common sense and stopped. There is always that temptation to "give it another try - you'll get it this time", but due to the way the bolt is deep in there I could see a huge disaster in the making if it didn't loosen up. There is hardly enough room in there to even drill the thing out as a last resort.

So now I am stuck. If it were in a location where I could get at the thing I would give it another shot anyway. Since it isn't, I'm not really sure what to try next. :shrug:

Any suggestions before I turn it over to a mechanic and let it be his problem? :emotions34:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a socket that's just smaller than that one that you can hammer on?

If it's metric, find the next smaller SAE. If SAE, find the next smaller metric. Then hammer the sucker on the bolt and remove. Your new tensioner came with a new bolt, yes?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on a damned IPad don't know how to copy and paste. Google " Irwin Bolt Grip Extractor". SnapOn, Matco, every body has a version, all built/licensed by Irwin ( the original Vise Grip people). This biash'll GIT ER DONE!!!

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, (might be too late now) I always use 6 point sockets, they hug the flat sides of the bolts. 12 pt sockets only grab onto the corners and are much more likely to slip and round off the bolt. If you don't have a 6 pt. socket, that's something else you can try.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on a damned iPad don't know how to copy and paste.

Tap your finger on the url bar at the top. It should now show the lull link, highlighted in blue. Tap anywhere on the highlighted part and a popup thing should say Cut Copy Paste Define. Click on the tab that says Copy.

Go to where you want to paste the link. Hit inside the text field so the cursor blinks, then quickly double-tap on the text bock. The popup thing now will say Select Select All Paste. Click the tab that says Paste.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tap your finger on the url bar at the top. It should now show the lull link, highlighted in blue. Tap anywhere on the highlighted part and a popup thing should say Cut Copy Paste Define. Click on the tab that says Copy.

Go to where you want to paste the link. Hit inside the text field so the cursor blinks, then quickly double-tap on the text bock. The popup thing now will say Select Select All Paste. Click the tab that says Paste.

I appreciate the tutorial! 'Course now I'm back on desktop and probably won't touch the pad till the weekend. :emotions34: Means I'll have to try to dig up this thread if I ever need to copy again.

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry. I was away all day yesterday. For what it's worth, I am starting to see very minor wear in the same place the old belt got shaved off. I am 95% sure the tensioner is the culprit, making this even more urgent.

Is there a socket that's just smaller than that one that you can hammer on?

If it's metric, find the next smaller SAE. If SAE, find the next smaller metric. Then hammer the sucker on the bolt and remove. Your new tensioner came with a new bolt, yes?
I will try the hammer method as a last resort. In the meantime, I have avoided using any PB Blaster, etc., due to the location of the bolt. Would that be a good (or bad) idea?

No new bolt with the tensioner. In my haste to get the tensioner itself I overlooked it. I have one on the way now, though.

Fwiw, (might be too late now) I always use 6 point sockets, they hug the flat sides of the bolts. 12 pt sockets only grab onto the corners and are much more likely to slip and round off the bolt. If you don't have a 6 pt. socket, that's something else you can try.
Never owned a 12-point in my life. Not even sure what they are good for. They seem to be dandy for rounding off bolts, though! :icon_lol:

I've had a 62 piece Metrinch set that seems to do well on worn bolts. I've had it for probably 20 years and never let me down. Tough as nails too.

Home Page - Metrinch
Those look fantastic but are out of my price range. Someone posted a link before to a set of sockets in the $20 range of the "vise grip" style. I can't find it now - anyone know the name of the manufacturer?

I will be replacing the bolt when I do this. Once the new bolt is here (I may be able to pick one up today, but my work schedule is not great), I just need to get the old bolt out. I really appreciate all of the advice. :)

PS: The old bolt (and entire engine) was cold when I tried this Saturday. Does anyone thing it might help to have the engine hot?

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Every set I'm finding is either SAE only or includes other metric sizes but not the 13mm I need. I guess I could try to pound one of the SAE ones on there and hope for the best. I see the hammer-on method as a "no going back" process, though.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13mm and 1/2 are basically interchangeable. Actually, 1/2" is a hair smaller than 13mm (.512 inches) so it would fit a lil more snug on a worn 13mm bolt.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ yup, we do that all the time.

Another alternative is a 13mm 3/8" impact socket, thicker walls so less flex and actually better grip. I have one here I have to use in overtightened situations.

Members online

No members online now.