Replace Belt Tensioner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I didn't diagnose it further.
Without special tools I wouldn't know.
I think it was a neoprene belt too.

I would think it would squeal alot if it was missed align.
Have to see what the other more inclined forum members say.

Any of these fit your belt wear?
You must be registered for see images

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The Abrasion/Misalignment is closest. Now just imagine that it is half of the belt gone and not just the edge. :favorites68:

EDIT: There was no squealing or other odd noises.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
What happens if the other half goes while I'm whipping down the highway?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well all your accessories powered by the belt would stop: alternator, water pump, power steering,AC.

I'm glad you're safe though :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
well all your accessories powered by the belt would stop: alternator, water pump, power steering.

I'm glad you're safe though :)

Thank you for that. :)

I just didn't know if an abrupt loss of the belt could possibly cause any engine damage. Since the belt I have now will obviously be of no use as a spare I may see if I can sneak out of work for an hour and pick one up locally. Then when the one I ordered last night shows up it can be my spare.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that. :)

I just didn't know if an abrupt loss of the belt could possibly cause any engine damage. Since the belt I have now will obviously be of no use as a spare I may see if I can sneak out of work for an hour and pick one up locally. Then when the one I ordered last night shows up it can be my spare.

Do IT! A broken belt can quickly lead to overheating the engine and blowing head gaskets, cracked cylinder heads, and/or radiator destruction. Do whatever is necessary to get a new belt on your engine ASAP! Then find our the root cause - usually a misalignment with a pulley. Suspect the belt tensioner as these are subject to wear. You have dodged the bullet so far so don't take any more chances.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the past, when I've seen a belt split it's been when a tensoner, or idler pulley(plastic) was worn uneven, the flat contact surface no longer flat. My guess is that the worn, rounded or concave surface of the pulley caused across-the-width flexing that caused the belt to separate. Just a dumb hillbilly's guess.

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess what - my serpentine belt is HALF GONE!!! :eek:
All right... what was having a snack on your belt Steve? Those dirty rats..Ha ha..
Highly recommended to carry a good spare belt in the Jeep at all times! Get two if need be!
Would I drive the Jeep with a worn out belt....Nope.
My thought is by the time a belt is worn out, so is the tensioner assembly, do them both together and you should not have issues.
I hope your tensioner arrives ASAP!

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, all. Ironically, I just ordered the belt and tensioner Monday night as a preventative maintenance measure and a possible way to solve what seemed like a battery charging problem.

I got to work OK today and am trying to run over and pick up a belt this afternoon. In the meantime, I am watching the temp gauge on my Garmin Mechanic like a hawk. It reads actual temperatures and is not just a needle gauge like in the dash. When the belt and tensioner I ordered Monday get here I will put them both on and use the belt I hope to buy today as my spare.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Got the belt (I hope) and made it back to work alright. As soon as I get off tonight it will be installed. I'm parked under the brightest light I could find in our parking garage.

The "I hope" comment refers to the fact that there are two different Mopar part numbers for it. Some places tell you that one is for '04 to '06 only. I bought it at the parts counter at the Jeep dealer (no lube provided) so let's hope they know what they are doing. They did look the part up by VIN, so that's a plus. Oh, the joys of owning an '07 - you don't really know which year a particular part you have installed was originally designed for... :emotions34:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
New belt is on. My Liberty must be putting on a few pounds because this one is a lot more snug than the old one was, even before the old one made like a banana and split.

Since I'd rather ask a stupid question than do a stupid thing, does it matter which direction the belt goes? I know on some machinery I've worked on it did. I did not see any arrows on this one anywhere.

PS: It was still there and looked good after my drive home.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
With every mile closer to work I told myself it would be one less mile I'd have to walk if the rest of it went. :happy175:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
With half a belt drive, that indeed is good fortune !!
Now may be a good time to buy some lottery tickets! :gr_grin:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Got the belt I ordered last week and also the tensioner. Just for the record, the tensioner is indeed the whole assembly with the metal bracket and both pulley wheels. The belt I put on after discovering the state of the old one last week has been looking good. I'm guessing that the old tensioner is fine, seeing as it was a close-run thing to get the new belt on. At any rate, I feel a lot better going down the road now.

Saturday I dive back in and put the new tensioner on. I am also curious to see if I can detect any difference between the belt I bought at the dealer last week (53013905AA) and the one which arrived today (53013905AC). They are both listed as valid belts for my 2007.

Cyanide

Reaction score
I changed the belt & the tensioner on mine last week. The pulley is part of the tensioner (you can buy just the pulley to replace the one on the tensioner or you can buy the complete assembly). I was getting a clicking noise from the tensioner, wasn't sure if it was the pulley bearing or the tensioner internal spring so changed the whole thing. It was a quick & easy change out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.