repetitive sound after installing new tri-link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4illustrator

Reaction score
OK, so after installing new rear shocks, coil springs and rear upper control arm, (which was a ROYAL PIA) a new sound developed after getting on the highway. A repetitive sound whose rhythm goes with the speed of the car. IIt got louder the faster I went and became loud enough to alarm me. I thought the wheels were going to fall off. I got to my destination parked and looked at the wheels. Saw nothing obvious and went to get groceries. Got back in and drove home. The sound came back but not nearly as loud. Next day I took off all 4 tires and inspected them and the repair work I did behind them. Saw nothing. I'm wondering if somehow by moving the differential up and down while installing the tri-link I might have encouraged a u joint to change position and die....Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Oh btw I still need to get an alignment done. Thanks for any repair wisdom that you might share.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so after installing new rear shocks, coil springs and rear upper control arm, (which was a ROYAL PIA) a new sound developed after getting on the highway. A repetitive sound whose rhythm goes with the speed of the car. IIt got louder the faster I went and became loud enough to alarm me. I thought the wheels were going to fall off. I got to my destination parked and looked at the wheels. Saw nothing obvious and went to get groceries. Got back in and drove home. The sound came back but not nearly as loud. Next day I took off all 4 tires and inspected them and the repair work I did behind them. Saw nothing. I'm wondering if somehow by moving the differential up and down while installing the tri-link I might have encouraged a u joint to change position and die....Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Oh btw I still need to get an alignment done. Thanks for any repair wisdom that you might share.

More than likely the u-joints
They are now running at a different plane and rust could of built up and causing the noise
Don't drive very far without getting an alignment , I always get one done within 10 miles of installing lift then again in 1000-1500 miles depending on what lift I just installed
What lift do you have?

4x4illustrator

Reaction score
Yeah, I know you thought that, but no i'm strictly stock. Hopefully sell in a year or two. That Jeep Gladiator is getting under my skin. Getting tired of crawling under and replacing suspension parts.
Thanks I never thought of the e brake. Here's hoping that's what it is, but knowing my karma, I see ujoint appearing on the list. Any good how-tos on that?

List of suspension parts I've replaced in the last two months...
Tires
front brakes, rotors, & calibers
Front strut assemblies
front lower ball joints
front sway bar links
front upper control arms
have my eye on those tie rods

rear UCA
rear coils
rear shocks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know you thought that, but no i'm strictly stock. Hopefully sell in a year or two. That Jeep Gladiator is getting under my skin. Getting tired of crawling under and replacing suspension parts.
Thanks I never thought of the e brake. Here's hoping that's what it is, but knowing my karma, I see ujoint appearing on the list. Any good how-tos on that?

List of suspension parts I've replaced in the last two months...
Tires
front brakes, rotors, & calibers
Front strut assemblies
front lower ball joints
front sway bar links
front upper control arms
have my eye on those tie rods

rear UCA
rear coils
rear shocks

Get it all done and then sell it to me
Still looking and have an extra JBA coilover lift waiting