Renegades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do all Renegades come with skid plates? Or is it an additional package?

I'm starting to search around some salvage yards for KJ's and it would make it easier and save time if I could just assume all Renegades have skid plates. Hope I come across a tow hitch too and maybe some other goodies my Sport doesn't have.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Limited's and Rocky Mountain Editions you could check as well...
Many of those also came with factory skids.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
x2 on what Marlon said.

Last I knew skid plates were part of the "off-road package" (02-07 KJ) so they could be on any model. Then if you are looking in salvage yards or buying used KJ's you will have to check all KJ's because they could have been added or removed by the prior owner so I don't believe there is an easy answer other than checking for them.

Dave

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much for making it easy... at least there's two places in the area where there's nothing but salvage yards for a good couple of miles-- several just down the road from one another. So I shouldn't have to be running around town too much looking for skids and hitches.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Suspension, Transfer Case and Gas Tank Skid Plates were standard on all Renegades from 2002-2004 and optional on all other Trim Levels (either individually or in the Off Road Group) , starting in 2005 they also added a transmission skid plate and the Skid Plates were only standard on the highest optioned Renegade but were available as an option on the low-equipped Renegade and all other trim levels (again individually or in the Off-Road Group)

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VeitzJeep, I can help you out with the local salvage yards as well, I have checked them all and this is the current list of yards that have KJs (sorry no skids) (this was atleast accurate a month ago)

Tubbs has about 10 KJs in stock but tubbs is one of the highest priced yards around... Other than Tubbs, Johnson Mustang, B&G and Virginia Salvage all have either one or two KJs (but again no skids the last time I checked).

You can also use www.car-part.com to find parts (the closest hitch they are showing is in MD though)

Hope this helps

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help gtommec. I'm not in a rush for the parts, so I'll keep bugging them every once in a while until they get a KJ with skid plates. Any guess how much they would cost out of a salvage yard? I know new they go for a couple hundred a piece.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Couple hundred a piece? Must be the gold platted Fender Custom shop variant. :D

Shouldn't be more than $300 for the set new, so I'd go no more than $150 used....more like $100...

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll probably also dig around for the stock fog lights for my '06 so I can run those and my aftermarket "off road" lights that I have in the stock position right now. Also might take the Renegade feder flares with the rivets in them.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen places charge like $200 for the gas tank skid plate alone-- new.

You must be referring to the Skid Row plates - yea, they're up in that $200 range.

Check out this Jeep parts site for the skids. That page shows the ****** skid but you can see the links for the other 3 (transfer case, front suspension, fuel tank.) I'm pretty sure you can use all those skids for '02-'04 Liberty's with no or very little modification so don't worry about the model years the site is showing.

According to my math all 4 skids add up to $273 + tax + shipping. So for just over $300 bucks the underbelly of your KJ is protected - far less than the $200/ea you were thinking. :party52:

At that price you should just buy new - they're OEM and not Skid Row thickness but they do the trick. LibertyTC put the transmission plate on his Jeep and he's happy with it.

Bob

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Liberty Sport which came bare with no to points of skidplates.

It's been my experience that you can't always get the skidplates for your year of Liberty but that often by drilling an extra hole you can make them fit. And also I found that the dealerships often sold the skidplates for different prices. It pays to shop around.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help gtommec. I'm not in a rush for the parts, so I'll keep bugging them every once in a while until they get a KJ with skid plates. Any guess how much they would cost out of a salvage yard? I know new they go for a couple hundred a piece.

I bought new OEM skids when my 05 KJ was fairly new about 6 years ago. Mine came with the engine skid from the factory. The ****** and t-case skids were $45 each and the gas tank skid was around $120 IIRC.......to give you an idea what they cost new.

As far as I know they are not making them anymore for 02-07 KJ. Junk yard price should be less?

They are ok (I have banged mine around a little) but aftermarket ones are heavier duty but of course more money. The OEM ****** skid is a little thin but better than nothing.

Dave