Renegade Roof Rail-weight limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do have loaded in that thing? Man, looks like someone needs new springs!!

I was looking at that too... it doesn't normally sit like that! :) Although there may be some junk in the trunk and I probably do need new springs, I think it's flexed a little with the front passenger tire on the beginning of the hill in front.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
KD: Looks like the 14' is perfect size, really like the color too!
How much wind noise/strap movement do you get at highway speed w/canoe on top?
Do you have to reduce the highway speed while it's on to less than 90km?

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
KD: Looks like the 14' is perfect size, really like the color too!
How much wind noise/strap movement do you get at highway speed w/canoe on top?
Do you have to reduce the highway speed while it's on to less than 90km?

On that trip, I used a couple of cam-buckle straps over the middle, and ratchet straps front and back... you really have to be careful with the ratchets or you could snap it in half pretty easy ;)

It was pretty solid like this, not much movement at all and not much noise as I recall.

In the past I used a rope on the front going from one side of the bumper to canoe and back to the other side, and I'd probably do it like that in the future as it makes the front end less likely to move side-to-side.

I didn't feel a need to keep the speed down at all although I was towing a 20' trailer for much of the time so I don't go too crazy anyways, usually max 10 km/h over the limit.

The only funny thing with a vehicle like the Liberty, and it would be worse with a longer canoe, is that if you strap the back from the very back of the canoe, it actually pulls the canoe forward, loosening your front strap.

I got around this by putting the rear strap around the canoe seat, which is forward of the spare tire so pulls the canoe back, tightening the front strap.

To be honest, I probably could have got away without a rear strap at all but I'd rather have too many straps than not enough :)

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
KD, Very Good Info. There is a loop in bow, it look like. I was thinking a round rope would have more wind resistance and less movement. Interesting to note that a dual sided rope held it better.
I would probably use some foam pad or something to protect the hood where the strap makes contact with paint, have you done that too?
The two straps in the middle, do they wrap all the way around or how attached to rails?

Last edited:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
KD, Very Good Info. There is a loop in bow, it look like. I was thinking a round rope would have more wind resistance and less movement. Interesting to note that a dual sided rope held it better.
I would probably use some foam pad or something to protect the hood where the strap makes contact with paint, have you done that too?
The two straps in the middle, do they wrap all the way around or how attached to rails?

At the bow, there is actually a plastic, triangular "plate" for lack of a better word, I just hooked the strap hook to the back edge of that. There is no "loop" to speak of. If I was tying it with a rope, there is a hole in the same plastic plate for a rope.

I didn't use anything between the strap and the paint, perhaps I should have but the paint up there is pretty much shot anyways with all the stone chips ;)

The two straps in the middle go over the top and are looped around the cross-bars (Mopar). The hooks won't hook to the bar itself so I go around the bar and hook the hook back to the strap, if that makes sense :)

One thing I just remembered I usually do is tie the excess end of the strap around the strap, which causes it to curl up into a more round shape and seems to lessen the wind vibrations.

Who'd have thought we could talk so much about tying up a canoe? :)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Better to know now, than to find out my canoe turned into an airplane...so many bad drivers out there...LOL.
Looks like I may be able to borrow a 14 footer this summer....and pull the power boat.
Will see what happens, need more straps for sure, will wait until it's on the roof to determine lengths. THX!

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better to know now, than to find out my canoe turned into an airplane...so many bad drivers out there...LOL.
Looks like I may be able to borrow a 14 footer this summer....and pull the power boat.
Will see what happens, need more straps for sure, will wait until it's on the roof to determine lengths. THX!

No problem! Watch Canadian Tire for straps, they often seem to put 4-packs on sale really cheap :)

Members online

No members online now.