Renegade roof light output

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

forcefed44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have contemplated replacing the factory light globes with LEDs but wanted to know before I attempted that, is there any way to upgrade the lighting output? I already swapped the halogen bulbs to Samsung LED 9006s 50w (expensive way to just test) and they are brighter but not super bright.

Relays, Wiring? where to go from here..

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the reflectors in those lights even worth the hassle? Seriously, I don't know. Some OE aux lights have really poor reflectors; you can get more output from LED's swapped in, but if the issue is light dispersion or projection out onto the road... that's all the reflectors job and there may be no good way to improve on that.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought that halogen lights in that bar were fairly decent. Buddy of mine had one and I was fairly impressed with the light output. Throws far and wide.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I retrofitted Rigid Dually's(using JK foglight kits) in my Renny lightbar using 4 Dually 10 degree spot lights,10 times the light output from the halogen bulbs(had upgraded silverstars in stock housings).

Was going to try HID's with the slim ballasts but there was no room to fit the ballasts under the cover with the stock halogen housings.

Only pic I have of them...........

You must be registered for see images attach

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just extend all of the wires from the ballast and put them in the engine bay?
That'd be easy enough and you'd get tons of light from them.. run all wiring through the stock holes and you'd never know it was done

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got fog lights? Legal way to add 2 extra lights and fine to use all the time (in my state laws may be different elsewhere).

forcefed44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the reflectors in those lights even worth the hassle? Seriously, I don't know. Some OE aux lights have really poor reflectors; you can get more output from LED's swapped in, but if the issue is light dispersion or projection out onto the road... that's all the reflectors job and there may be no good way to improve on that.

LED bulbs in.. and it's brighter but not that much.. More like an accent lighting look when projecting on the road.

TJKJ: I hear you on the retrofit. I was thinking about going round LED spots and fabricating the mounting brackets and shell incorporating the factory adjustments for the globes. I want to keep it as close to stock appearance as possibly.. Kind of my theme.

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED bulbs in.. and it's brighter but not that much.. More like an accent lighting look when projecting on the road.

TJKJ: I hear you on the retrofit. I was thinking about going round LED spots and fabricating the mounting brackets and shell incorporating the factory adjustments for the globes. I want to keep it as close to stock appearance as possibly.. Kind of my theme.

You would've been better off getting high wattage halogens than LED bulbs.. going from the stock 35w or whatever to 55w wouldn't do much at all
LEDs are only bright when they're in an LED reflector, so putting them in a halogen one makes a very short range of light without spread
I would go through the effort of installing HIDs, but that's just me
You wouldn't change ANYTHING about the housing, lenses, etc when you'd just be putting in a bulb like any other
You'll get much more light output from those than small LED pods

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would've been better off getting high wattage halogens than LED bulbs.. going from the stock 35w or whatever to 55w wouldn't do much at all
LEDs are only bright when they're in an LED reflector, so putting them in a halogen one makes a very short range of light without spread
I would go through the effort of installing HIDs, but that's just me
You wouldn't change ANYTHING about the housing, lenses, etc when you'd just be putting in a bulb like any other
You'll get much more light output from those than small LED pods

Have you seen the output of Rigid Dually's?

I'll have to find a close spot to take pics of the lights at night without the cops getting on my a$$ about it,people are so touching these days when you turn night into day.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they are bright, but the OP said he wants his lightbar to look stock so putting pods in isn't an option

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the output of Rigid Dually's?

I'll have to find a close spot to take pics of the lights at night without the cops getting on my a$$ about it,people are so touching these days when you turn night into day.

Was about to ask you that. I've used pods in the past on other builds but all mine seem to have been great at throwing a ton of light up close but failed at projecting it far down the road. Are the Rigids good with throw?

I've never had experience with the stock lightbar so don't have much knowledge on how much that put out in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was about to ask you that. I've used pods in the past on other builds but all mine seem to have been great at throwing a ton of light up close but failed at projecting it far down the road. Are the Rigids good with throw?

I've never had experience with the stock lightbar so don't have much knowledge on how much that put out in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get the 10 degree spots or the 8 degree hyper spots they project pretty far,twice as far or more then the stock Renny lightbar with 55w halogen bulbs.